EIGHTEEN.

TURNS OUT, WALKING BACK TO MY ROOM WITH a stack of books being held in my arms was more daunting that I had surmised

I place them down on the desk with a long sigh and straighten my back out. Marcus places his much larger pile down next to mine, the dark red book balances on top of all the others. I smile at my fresh collection of books.

"Thank you, again." I look over my shoulder to Marcus.

He smiles at me, "You're very welcome... again."

I could still hear rain patter against the roof and the hazy glow from outside fills the room, casting shadows on Marcus, his alabaster skin a bold contrast with the dark room.

I turn my head back around and turn on the lamp that stands on the side of the desk, the light fills only a small section of the room—but it allows me to be able to see.

I turn my eyes towards the window, droplets slide down the glass as they land. The sky is grey and it's obvious the sun has gone down, despite the normal orange and pink tinges that usually indicate the end of a day.

While I normally love to watch the colors mesh together and fade into nighttime, the rain and dark clouds feel just as peaceful.

Orange streetlights light the empty sidewalks of Volterra. Every night, as the sun disappears over the horizon, the shops close and the people milling about disperse into their homes or hotels. It makes me wonder if the locals know about the vampires, if they believe in the legends that most just think are fun stories to tell.

"Do the people who live in Volterra know?" I ask, continuing to stare outside.

"Many here believe in the legends of blood drinking demons, but they also believe they are kept safe by us. Their beliefs aren't enough for us to get involved with, so I suppose they don't really know." Marcus explains.

I turn around to face him and lean against the desk, "Would it be bad if their beliefs were enough to get you involved?"

Marcus frowns subtly, but not subtle enough that I don't notice, "Yes, we would have to," he pauses for a millimeter of a second, "dispose of them."

I grimace internally, "So humans aren't supposed to know about vampires?"

"It is illegal for a human to know. If a human happens to figure out our existence they will either be turned or killed. If a vampire makes themselves known to humans, purposefully or accidentally, most of the time they will be killed as well." He continues to elucidate.