DAMIEN

The pain of watching her slowly die hurt me...

I couldn't take it, but I had to watch the guests and monitor her progress.

I was reading the expenses of the supplies we had just ordered.

Until Death came barging in. "Damien."

I looked up from the piece of paper in my hand. "Yes?"

"She's asking for you." My eyes widen.

I ran past him and ran all the way into Sorana's room. We had moved her when we noticed she had started growing better.

"Sorana?" I saw her. Her eyes were closed, but she kept whispering in my mind. "Damien." We were known by our family to be able to talk with our minds. She used this method.

"Sorana?" "Damien.... I....I need you to do me a favour..."

"What is it?"

"Father.... Father's tomb... We buried him....... Didn't we...?"

I nod. "So?"

"His... Phoenix..... It's calling me...." Her voice was weak and fragile.

"What do you want me to do?" "Dig it up.... I know it might take time but..... Please...." Then her voice died down and her breathing returned to its normal slow pace when she sleeps.

"Damien?" I hear Emily's voice.

I look up to see Djacc with Emily and an unknown person. "Who's he?"

"My new apprentice. This is Frost. Frost, this is Damien. Prince of Wither and twin to Sorana."

The boy nods at me. "Pleased to meet you."

I noticed that he did not give that much how do I put this.... Power inside him. Not much of it at least. The aura was there but only barely enough.

"So, what brings you here?" I tried, acting calm because I was still paralyzed because of my twin's sudden words.

"I came to see her." Emily answered.

I sighed deeply in frustration. "I told you to stay at school and finish the semester before you come home, did I not?"

Emily looked at me, cross. "My sister is dying and you expect me to focus on school? No, I will not wait around for a letter or message about Twilight's death."

My jaw clenched, I was trying my best not to lash out on her, but even that was hard. How did Sorana manage to do this with us?

I shake my head. "Just go do what you want all of you." I stood up from the bed. I hadn't realized that I was sitting next to Sorana as she slept until this moment. "I will make sure rooms will be made ready for all of you. Please explore the premises as much as you want." I walked away from them without a glance.

I knew I was being cold and distant, but I couldn't help it. The elders said a leader of Wither has to be cold and cruel. Which was one of the reasons why they looked down upon Sorana's will to rule the kingdom.

Once I made it to my room, I asked one of the Knights that guarded my room to summon Keith.

Keith came in a few minutes later. "My lord." He bows and looks at me. "What do you require?"

"Emily has brought guests over with her. See to it that they are taken care of." I replied. ".... And maybe... Get me some coffee."

Keith nods and bows again. "As you wish, my lord." He turned and left.

I looked out the window to see the dim lights of the Witherians villages. I could hear their laughter and everyone shuffling in the markets, chatting with each other. All of them as happy as ever. Not needing to worry about how they acted and no one to tell them how to act.

I shut my eyes tightly at the thought.

Sorana had said she wanted me to live a life with the villagers. I had declined because I wanted to protect her and stay with her.
She had smiled and said nothing about it, only nodding at me.

My hands clenched tightly. I failed to do what I said I would...

I summoned the master-of-arms, Ichiro.

He came, panting. "What do you need, Lord Damian?"

"I would like you to send some men to the Misherus crypt. There I'd like you to dig up my father's share of its land." Ichiro seemed uneasy when I told him about the digging, but he said nothing of it.

"As you wish, my lord." He left as swift as he came, leaving in a black smoke.

Dark came in. "Was that Ichiro I saw?"

I nod. "Indeed." I wasn't expecting his appearance, but I was grateful. Death and Dark Tsuki were known to be the smartest out of all the Tsuki brothers. "What is it that you need, Dark?"

"Some of your taxes have been stolen by some greedy people from your council. Or if you want someone specific, I'd love to tell you who you should place your bet on." He answered.

So it wasn't just me. Some of the money I had placed to be put aside to change a bit of the villages lights had started disappearing after I handed it down to the council of finances to take care of.

"Who is it, then?" I had been expecting him to say one name that I know could be the one.

"Helio Lin." Dark said. "He has just bought a new mansion and slaves. Even bought expensive things for his family. I wonder where he got the money from, don't you?"

I nod. "So, my suspicions were correct. Your advice is noted. Shall I remove him from the council?"

Dark nods. "The sooner the better. The more you trust this man with money, the more greedy he will get. I suggest you don't take that for granted."

"As you wish." I murmured. "You will be the new head then?"

Dark shrugged. "If you want. It's your choice. Although I assure you I have nothing to do anyway."

"I'll think about it."

---

Ichiro and his men had started digging up Roman's tomb.

They had started getting uneasy ever since they started, but they kept going. Until finally they reached his coffin.

Ichiro looked at the skeleton inside it. The Misherus were known to be buried in glass coffins. Which the commoners thought to be terrifying.

When they opened the coffin, out came a reddish-white light soaring away towards the castle.

The light made it somewhere in the castle.

Red eyes opened, glowing.

She had woken up.