Another Slice of Heaven

Gudako POV

Somewhere inside the distant reaches of the dreamscape, I could hear someone calling my name, urging me to wake up.

(Zzzz... Where's the snooze button... come back in another...twenty-four hours)

Feeling myself turn over murmuring, I transcend further into the dream world.

Suddenly, an updraft of air slapped my face startling me; Bahamut was holding me upside down, clutching my left leg as he shook me, his ordinarily purple eyes red and his flaming hair burning more intensely as he stared at me in clear annoyance.

"I know you heard me telling you to wake up! Don't make me dangle you over a cliff; get up!"

He began shaking me once more, rushing blood to my head, making me feel pale blue in the face. I shake my hands frantically, signaling I was awake, dropping me to the ground before walking off to rouse Mash.

"...This is the first. I've never been manhandled awake like some teddy bear. I don't suppose you wake children like that?"

"Of course, the little ones always laugh it off...unlike you. I wonder why?"

"Really? I can only imagine you've met some weird kids."

Groaning, stumbling to my feet, I hear the rattling of Mash's armor mixed with her surprised voice, followed by Merlin's panicked screams as they're subjected to the same treatment; Atalanta being the only person to jump awake by her lonesome.

Wide awake and staring at Bahamut questioningly, he points to the sky; we all see it, a lone figure circling wildly in the air, their hands making weird movements and signals as we remain oblivious to them.

"So she's here, I figure she wouldn't be here until morning, but it's hardly daybreak," Merlin complained, wheeling the treasures forward, staring at Ishtar with the rest of us.

"What is Ishtar doing, senpai?"

"I... don't know. How long has she been like that, Bahamut?"

"Ten minutes, give or take. It's like she's fighting herself."

"Fujimaru, I recommend approaching Ishtar as she is. She doesn't seem particularly irked, and the walk is only ten miles away; now would be the perfect opportunity."

"I must agree, master. If we wait until she retreats for her temple, the results likely wouldn't be different from yesterday's."

"Yeah. You're right, we'll probably have to readjust the plan, but that's fine. ...Let's go recruit Ishtar and get home!"

"Ishtar!"

The walk was very brief. Finding her at a rocky path to the town's entrance, we found her resting in the air, sulking, her head buried between her legs as I called out, making her scream in surprise.

"W-What are you all doing here?!"

"We're out again, traveling around by the request of Uruk's citizens."

"Uruk, huh?" Ishtar whispered bitterly, folding her arms and looking away, "Let me guess blondie won't admit that he's bitten off more than he can chew facing the Goddess Alliance, and now the citizens want my help."

"Nope."

"No, I see. ...WAIT. What do you mean they don't want my help!"

Ishtar fell from the sky on her butt, utterly shocked, looking at me with upturned eyes.

"H-How do they not want my help? You just said you were adventuring on their behalf!"

"Yeah, we are. We're looking to recruit an all-powerful ally, but we had to make a quick detour. Yesterday, we lost a small bag of jewels the citizens were offering as a reward to whoever becomes our ally. So, before we make any negotiations finding that pouch is of utmost importance! You... wouldn't have seen such a bag yourself, Heavenly Goddess Ishtar?"