Burning Aftermath

The tiring flames that disappeared from the battlefield burned with a different coldness than the one I seemed to feel inside, or rather the coldness I assumed I had but couldn't feel.

Sadness didn't overtake me when I killed Tomoe.

Grief didn't fill me as I gazed at the human and her servant allies plummet from the sky.

Not a single shred of my soul cried out while I bathed in the hell in front of me, spending minutes wiping my hands free of blood that wouldn't ever come off.

I felt no emotion at all.

That's right... it was impossible for me to feel anything since I locked all my emotions away; a key to ever open that Pandora's box didn't exist, nor would it no matter how many years, centuries, or millennia would come to pass.

There was nothing left for the darkness to consume, no undiscovered light lying somewhere deep inside that could be bargained with.

Or maybe... the light I should've had was corrupted long ago.

"..Y...O...U!"

A dying groan carried through the crisp air.

Tiny embers still fluttered about in my eyesight, roaming across the ravaged land sitting below the dyed red sky as Tomoe's unresponsive body slid off my hand and its last remnants dematerialized before ever contacting the ground.

-SCREEE!!!

A harsh whistling; of something slicing through the currents like it was the softest butter.

I yanked at the horizon with my hand I threw up as though reaching for the heavens, catching the edge of a bronze shield thrown for my head in between my index fingers.

Pieces chipped and crumbled from the fractures beginning to show in the metal upon the fragile squeeze my fingers dug into the shield with- coming to stand silently before the servant who aimed for me, its broken form fell at their feet like a vase that had been shattered.

"You... UGH!...... BAHAMUT!!!"

Whether through his power alone or because of an unbreakable will he possessed, the lancer called Leonidas fought through the petrification curse, trying to claw his hands into my skin even as the process worked to claim his torso and arms.

Leonidas's left pulverized into dust hitting my torso while his last free hand clamped around one of my arms, refusing to break.

"DISHONORABLE, TRAITOROUS SERVANT!"

"YOUR DECEIT IS ONLY MATCHED BY YOUR SPINELESS COWARDICE!"

His words held a cutting sharpness similar to a blade while also having a vile bite as though he roared them out from the pits of his stomach.

The blood in his mouth from battle splashed onto my face and body with raging force at every syllable he mouthed.

Yet, I continued to do as I had and stood there wordlessly. Not an eye batted while I watched the curse's effects reach his face and begin to finish consuming him once and for all.

Careening his neck; ignoring the cracking sounds of the stone from the area being petrified, the man looked into my eyes for what would undoubtedly be his last sight.

Losing the deadly glare in his gaze, he somehow managed to take a breath as his speech came out softer compared to the last time.

"...You're not Bahamut. You may wield the same tribal marking on your chest, but your pupils don't contain a fearlessness ancient texts described his of holding; at least, you're not the legendary dragon I've come to hear rumors about."