Battle Like Hell

Roaring.

Sparking.

Cracking.

Crimson vs Violet-Ereshkigal's and my opposing attacks shimmered; swirling and mixing into one before imploding into a grand display of glistering sparks, like falling stars in an open twilight sky.

Feeling a surge of her magical energy ripple up my arm from our exchange, I danced free from the smoke enveloping us in its center.

Nipping, biting through my bangs, the wind bent to my simple acrobatic movements, with each way I twisted my body to continually flip backward, evading Ereshkigal's chain summonings of the elemental souls she willed to attack me left and right.

"Ohh, Daiki," Sliding under a stone pillar launched by Ereshkigal's tremendous display of power my feet shredded across the mountain's even surface, crushing another slab of stone flying into my hands as I peered over my shoulder at the quivering spirit I stood guard before.

"Are you ever planning on tagging in, game master? You are after all...playing as... him."

Slipping from between the cracks of my fingers-Daiki levitated beside me, shadowed in my outstretched wings I unfurled to escape the scope of Ereshkigal's attack.

The outskirts of the mountain's edge fodderized and became scarred with burn marks from her lightning. Ledges crumbled to dust under our gaze, falling somewhere into the darkness we'd fought our way through to arrive at this point.

Wavering between the battlefield and me- against doing battle versus Ereshkigal or staying in the comfort of the sky, Daiki's head rotated indecisively, blowing up in a tiny puff of blue mist.

Reformed from the eyes first, the rest of his head reappeared-an improvised spiked helmet decorating on top as he transferred back the package our hands exchanged earlier, flying towards the warzone with his body a flashy collection of shimmering gold lights.

Cradling my right hand in the supportive palm of my left, the curve in my fingers straightened, unfurling.

Ishtar, snugly fit in the palm of my hand- her body frail and decayed, the bony structure of her skeleton was clearly perceptible as she struggled with haggard breaths. Final traces of life and color fled from Ishtar's eyes. The clammy cold touch of her skin registered through mine as her pale fingers randomly patted around, Ishtar's breath frosty, rigid, and stabbing like icicles as she sighed with the last of her fading strength, wrapping her right hand around the curve of my thumb.

Shit. At this stage...would it be better to let her die...?

...No...

Even if I was to let the land take her soul there's no guarantee it'd return it after Ereshkigal is defeated. Or that it could be restored if one of the Gallu devour it.

Hell this place might be, but it isn't the one I know.

All that remains is no more than to give Ishtar all I can offer her.

Caging Ishtar in by placing my free hand over the one she occupies, I formed the usual golden orb of the spell between my closed palms feeling it grow from its clay-ball-sized shape until its light shone through the gaps between my fingers as in seconds it enveloped Ereshkigal's mountain palace back to the first gate where Daiki and I met Gilgamesh.

Warmer and hotter, feeding off the flames of my soul the temperature around the battlefield reached new degrees as tiny starlets rose from the glow being emitted, sparking the soil with life in an unbelievable miracle that ceased to happen no longer than a microsecond as the golden storm cloud hanging in the air shrunk to its original spherical size, radiating a shockwave which hummed warmly across the underworld.