Divine Temptations

Turn back... turn back... turn back

Die... You'll die! Please Die!

Save... yourselves...

Depraved screams and sorrow-filled moans erupted throughout hell. Not a soul was happy to see us. Howls of the imprisoned sinners split between begging to be saved or wishing death upon Ishtar and me.

I looked down at the quiet goddess in my arms, noticing Ishtar's skin turn narrowly bluer with each grueling threat. My hands instinctively wrapped around her tighter as I increased my body temperature, radiating immense heat with hopes of stopping Ishtar from trembling.

There's not a rush of wind in this area. We've passed through five gates, each slightly warmer than the last, yet she's still shaking.

Just warming her up isn't going to change anything. Think... something that could stagnate the curse's effects...

Do I know such a spell... could that one work?

"...The blessing of youth."

A delicate glow came beneath me. Warm lighting illuminated the darkness, disappearing just as quickly as the inside of the pendant hanging from my neck alighted-a brilliantly burning holy flame sparking to life, signaling Typhoon's awakening.

"How about it? What are your opinions, Typhoon?"

"Hmm... the blessing of youth...?" Typhoon spoke between yawns, barely managing to get the sentence out.

"You're right about it being the best option for her. Unfortunately, I doubt you'll be able to use it excessively."

"Blessing of Youth, remember it's a spell which absorbs the life energy from living things and converts it into a divine breath that can together cleanse and heal the body and soul. The problem is... we're in the land of death.

"I haven't forgotten. I know the spell will be harder to use with no living plants or animals around, so instead, I'll use part of my lifeforce."

"...I can't say I at with that choice. Doing something that reckless, I'm not comfortable with your decision at all."

"I figured as much, and I intend to go through with it regardless. I'll deal with whatever consequences when the time comes."

I inhaled deeply, expanding my lungs, accumulating magic inside them using my life energy as I drowned out Typhoon's voice and breathed out a gold stream of air.

"Silva!" Typhoon's pendant glittered brightly, encasing the spell within a small bubble before it reached Ishtar. The blazing flame inside the necklace burned intensely hotter, flying with sparks at Typhoon's rising anger.

"I said I disagree with it! It's your first manifestation. We don't know how your servant body will react to you expending your life energy, large amounts at that. I refuse to let you use that spell with the destruction of your soul being quite possible."

"I'm your caretaker. Even in this second lifetime, I plan to continue upholding my promise. Your safety, your life alone, is my main concern."

A standoffish atmosphere settled between Typhoon and me. I looked down long and hard at the pendant, peering into the delicate flames before gazing elsewhere, letting out a sigh.

"Look at her. You can't tell me she's not in bad shape. I know we're likely not the kind of heroes everyone imagines and admires but are we the type to sit back and watch others suffer endlessly?"

"I've... been thinking... about the night Uruk collapsed when I brushed past the soldier begging for help-pondering why I despise humans and gods alike. Truthfully, even after regaining pieces of my memory, nothing makes sense whatsoever."