Chapter Two: Maddie talks with Selena

Tua Bay was going back to normal but there was still one place that needed taking care of. Knockout had been called back to Cybertron to assist Ratchet in any injured bots. So Knockout had left Selena to do her part back on Earth and take care of their children who need a proper introduction. We have seven-year-old Ellie, five-year-old twins Skylinks and Darksteel, three-year-old Adam, and one-year-old Elita. All of them apart from Adam were adopted as babies. A choice that Selena didn't have but didn't dare abandon them. 

Though they would all spend time with Pippa or Piro due to Selena being busy with politics and projects of her own. One that she was focused on was restoring an old car that she found in a junkyard. She bet the person she got it from that she could repair it in about three months. But, when she got it back to her lab in a remote cave, she realised that she might've needed more time. The entire engine had been removed and parts in the undercarriage had also been removed. 

The car is a classic Chevrolet Corvette. One of Selena's favorites but not one she knows how to fix. She's a month and a half into the project and she's been trying to remake the entire engine. Piro doesn't like that, even though she's changed her ways, Selena is still persistent to avoid people. Selena always made it clear that she's not that much of a people person but that doesn't mean she should avoid them altogether. So, Piro had an idea to give her some human interaction.

She went to Maddie and asked her to talk with Selena. The two never really got along due to Selena's past with Maddie's father. But Selena more or less forced it to be that way. She wanted nothing to do with Maddie. But Maddie wanted to be friends with Selena so she said that she would talk with her. Piro took Maddie to Selena's lab and just told her to walk in. Piro left and Maddie walked into the dark cave. But it got brighter as she entered the main area.

Inside were two big consols in the middle of the room, three tunnels that lead further into the cave, a balcony area which Selena made herself and where she likes to hang out, on the left of the entrance was Selena's work desk which was littered with scrap and spare parts, and on the left was Selena working on the car, and a Groundbridge. Maddie didn't know what it was but a Groundbridge is like a teleporter so it can take you anywhere on Earth. But Selena doesn't use it much. She prefers flying.

Selena didn't hear Maddie come in because she was currently under the car trying to fix the undercarriage and she had Michael Jackson on blast. Maddie tried to get her attention but Selena couldn't hear her. So, she tapped Selena's leg which scared her causing her to jerk and bang her head on the undercarriage. She told her AI, Vincent, to turn the music off while she held her head. Selena rolled out from under the car. 

"Are you okay?" Maddie asked

"I bumped my head! What do you think?!" Selena snapped

"You don't have a concussion so you'll be alright," Vincent said after doing a quick medical scan.

"What was that?" Maddie asked

"I am Vincent. I am an AI and assitant to Selena."

"And the only person I can rely on," Selena said sitting up, "Now what do you want?"

"I wanted to talk," Maddie said

"You've come to the wrong person for a chat. I'm busy so you can leave."

"Can't we just be friends? I know you and my dad didn't get along but that doesn't mean we can't get along."

Selena gave a fake laugh, "Your father took my eyesight from me. Now I can only see my children and you through my mask."

"How does that work?"

Selena sighed, "My mask records everything. So I connected that to this thing," She lifted her ponytail to reveal a small, round chip on the back of her neck, "That's connected to my brainstem to give me my eyesight. So whatever my mask sees, I see. I will never forgive Paul for this and I certainly won't be friends with you."

Selena went back under the car and started working again.

"You know, you and I are alike-"

"Save the sob story. I don't care," Selena interrupted.

Maddie told her story anyway. Years before the two met, Maddie had a boyfriend who had proposed. It was their wedding day and they were getting ready for their big day. But Maddie had found out that she was pregnant so she went to go tell him only to catch him cheating on her with some other girl.

Maddie called off the wedding and wanted nothing to do with her cheating fiance. He would attempt to win her back explaining that it was all a misunderstanding but she didn't believe him. In the end, she also lost the child she was pregnant with. That's why she felt that she and Selena were alike. Selena lost Adam and Maddie lost her child. After hearing the story, Selena slid back out to look at Maddie.

"So you lost a child too?" Selena asked

Maddie nodded

"I'm not going to get to know you through our grief," Selena said making Maddie disappointed, "but... we can start trying to get along."

"Really?" Maddie asked smiling

"If you help me fix this car."

"I'm not a mechanic."

"Neither am I. I'll tell you when I need you to do something. I have a bet with the guy I got this from that I'd have it fixed in three months. I have a month and I half left. I am not losing this bet."

"You will lose. You can't get this thing running by then."

"I can and I will. Because one thing you should know about me: no matter what the situation is, I never lose."

So, the two would talk while they fixed up the car. Yes, there were a few mishaps along the way, such as Selena getting squirted in the face with petrol, but there were no complaints and they were slowly but surely getting along. But not enough for Selena to tell Maddie about her past. It's still something she doesn't talk about.