Chapter 26: You Are A Brilliant Writer

Chapter 26: 𝓨𝓸𝓾 𝓐𝓻𝓮 𝓐 𝓑𝓻𝓲𝓵𝓵𝓲𝓪𝓷𝓽 𝓦𝓻𝓲𝓽𝓮𝓻

Wednesday, July 6th

Cory was laying on his back, admiring the ceiling fan that was blowing cool air into the room. His eyes were on the fan, but his mind was elsewhere.

Gracie.

She was such a good writer. It was no wonder she won awards for that book. Cory wanted to tell her, but not over text. He wanted to hear her voice.

He knew about the speech condition and that Gracie was insecure about it, but he was a patient guy. Any time he wouldn't understand her, he'd politely ask her to repeat it.

This was it.

This was about to happen.

His thumb shakily hovered over her contact before pressing the phone icon.

Incoming call
Cory Walker
5:37pm

She felt the vibration followed by her standard ringtone, the piano version of Holy by Justin Bieber. She saw Cory's contact name and with the snap of a finger, the phone slipped through her fingers.

She felt her stomach turn at the thought of talking to him.

Like, with her actual voice.

Please God, please let today be a good day to talk.

With hesitation, she accepted his call.

"Hello? Cory?"

"Hey."

An awkward silence followed.

"I loved your book. It was...amazing. You are a brilliant writer."

Gracie couldn't get over the fact that he loved her book. The first person outside of Wattpad she let read her book and there was no criticism nor any negative comments.

He actually liked it.

"Hello?"

"You liked it?"

"Of course I did. The way you described Bella's fear when Gray came back, how much Keith, Zach and Olive do to protect her and how Keith loves her. It—...I just loved it. You have a gift. Seriously. You should turn it into a career."

She couldn't help but grin ear-to-ear at his compliments. As much as she tried to hold it in, a giggle escaped from her lips.

"Thank you. I'm glad you like it."

Gracie hoped he didn't mind her using short sentences. She didn't want to risk sounding stupid and him not wanting to talk to her anymore. She cherished their talks. She wasn't ready to lose him.

"I really did."

"Well, I gotta go. Mom's calling me."

She lied.

"Alright. It was nice talking to you."

"...you too."

- dial tone -

Author's note -

I promise you, I do NOT mean to come off biased. I do NOT mean to come off like I'm some big, hot shot writer. My book isn't perfect.

I JUST WANTED TO MAKE THAT CLEAR.

I hope you guys can understand that.