Chapter 35: U-With-A-Stick-Shaped Thingy

Chapter 35: 𝓤-𝓦𝓲𝓽𝓱-𝓐-𝓢𝓽𝓲𝓬𝓴-𝓢𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓲𝓷𝓰𝔂

"What the fuck are you doing with my phone?"

Kendall put on her most mischievous grin - like a kid who got away with sneaking in a cookie before dinner. She handed him his phone back and crossed her arms."She sounds hideous."

Cory arched an eyebrow. "What, are we quoting State Farm Commercials now?"

"I'm serious! I mean, come on! Zits, I saw her picture. She looks like she belongs with other ugly ducklings. And a speech condition? Her parents have guardianship over her? What is she, retarded?"

He had to remind himself what his mother taught him growing up.

Never hit a woman.

Never hit a woman.

But boy did his fist want to punch this girl in the face for saying that about Gracie.

Kendall stepped closer to him. Perhaps, too close. Close enough that she wrapped an arm around his torso and leaned in toward his lips. "You deserve someone sexy like me."

Cory shook his head and added space between them. "I'd like you to leave."

They started a staring contest with Cory's narrowed eyes shooting daggers into hers which were scheming a plan to win him over.

She winked at him and as she walked past him, she bumped his shoulder.

As he watched her leave the diner, his phone started buzzing in his hand.

Gracie Summers:
Sent 10:45am

Cory?

You there?

You flirted with me, said you really liked me when you had a girlfriend??

Wtf is wrong with you?

Oh, fuck!

Kendall really fucked this up for Cory.

-

Cory stood on her front porch with one hand in his pocket and the other holding a bouquet of red roses wrapped in plastic. Thinking back, he was relieved that he asked her what her favorite flower was. What was supposed to be a flirty joke turned out to be something I could use to help us get past this situation.

He changed out of his hoodie and into a white dress shirt, he gelled his hair back and switched his apple watch for his diamond-encrusted watch.

He was nervous. He bounced his knees, took deep breaths and kept readjusting his collar. On the way over there, Cory was hit with a sudden realization - he was about to meet her parents.

He was already nervous about Gracie forgiving him, but meeting her parents increased his nerves by a thousand percent.

He knocked on the door and shortly after, her mom answered. Cory could see where Gracie got her looks from. He hadn't seen her dad yet, but he can already tell she looked more like her mom with her dark hair and brown eyes.

"Heyyy, you must be Cory."

"Tell him to go to hell, mom!"

She yelled at Gracie to come over here and to be nice before going back to watching TV.

Gracie paused her YouTube video and forced herself out of bed, slamming the carton of Cookies and cream ice cream onto her nightstand. She dragged her feet to the entryway and found Cory in a tight dress shirt and dark jeans, a bouquet of roses in his hand.

She wanted to jump into his arms and kiss him all over, but she couldn't forget that he had a girlfriend.

"S-shouldn't you be givin' these to your girlfriend?"

She didn't care if she sounded stupid in front of him anymore. She didn't care about him anymore. Period.

"She's not my girlfriend. She's the chick whose number I put in wrong that night."

"Then go b'ck to her. I-I'm sure she's waiting."

"Gracie. I don't give a tiny rat's ass about her. She texted you those things because I told her to leave me alone. I went to the bathroom and she must've slipped my phone out of my back pocket, but she's...she was just jealous that I showed more interest in you than in her.

Gracie thought about what he said. She needed to know that he was telling the truth.

"Look into my eyes and swear that nothing is going on between you and Kendall."

Cory took a few steps closer and cupped her cheek, looking directly into her eyes. "I swear to you that nothing is going on between me and Kendall."

-

Cory Walker:
Sent 7:10pm

What do you know about football?

Gracie Summers:
Sent 7:12pm

I know that a homerun is when the player runs the football thingy to the line thingy.

Cory Walker:
Sent: 7:13pm

*touchdown

But close enough.

Gracie Summers:
Sent 7:16pm

I was just messing with you about the homerun part 🤭

And I know a goal thingy is when the players kick the ball through the u-with-a-stick-shaped thingy.

Cory Walker:
Sent 7:18pm

.......

I lost brain cells reading that.

Gracie Summers:
Sent 7:19pm

Then my job is done.

Why?

Cory Walker:
Sent 7:19pm

Because I'm taking you to a preseason football game tomorrow. I saved you a ticket.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
[ A/N ] ❀ Proofreading & Editing by Julie_ProofEdit