Chapter 14: Do You Think I'm A Dumbass?

Addie - regular

Chapter 14: 𝓓𝓸 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓽𝓱𝓲𝓷𝓴 𝓘'𝓶 𝓪 𝓭𝓾𝓶𝓫𝓪𝓼𝓼?

Saturday, April 23rd

“Have a good day.”

Gracie smiled at the customer before moving onto the next. The whole time she was working, she felt Addie’s scrutinizing gaze on her from the nearest jeans display.

She nervously shifted her feet and her hands were trembling as she was ringing up the customer’s purchases. She felt confident she was doing everything right. She’d been working there long enough that she knew how it all worked, but something about Addie’s stare made Gracie nervous.

She shook those thoughts out of her head and kept her focus on what she was doing.

Once she was on break, she stepped into the break room where Dawn was already sitting on her phone. Her face lit up when she noticed Gracie entered the room.

She and Maddie always managed to make her feel welcome since she first started working there by trying to make small talk, even if she only answered with short sentences.

Gracie opened up about talking with Cory over text and Dawn flipped out over me talking with an NFL player. A bright smile tugged on her lips as she talked about their banter and her newfound friendship. Of course Addie had to walk in, faltering Gracie’s smile and making her abruptly stop the conversation.

“Bitching about me, Gracie?” Addie inquired as she grabbed her water bottle from the table. Her lips formed a smug smirk as she took a seat at the table. 

Gracie rolled her eyes and crossed her arms over the table. Her eyes remained downcast and she twiddled with a hangnail she noticed was on her thumb. She slouched down against the chair and kept herself occupied with her phone.

Addie scoffed and waved Maddie off like it was nothing when she explained that Gracie had been texting Cory Walker. Her boyfriend was a huge football fan and growing up in Arizona, he supported the team of his hometown.

There was no way in hell that the Cory Walker would ever give the time of day to someone like Gracie. “I smell bullshit. Cory’s smoking hot. He probably said that to impress you for some reason and you’re too much of a dumbass, you automatically fell for it.”

-

Gracie:
Sent 6:10pm

Do you think I'm a dumbass?

Cory Walker:
Sent 6:10pm

Is this a trap?

Gracie:
Sent 6:12pm

I mean, am I so effing desperate for a companionship that I become this dumbass who befriends a potential serial killer?

Cory Walker:
Sent 6:13pm

Of course not.

Didn’t you look me up? Why do you still think that?

You don't have that many friends?

Gracie:
Sent 6:13pm

I don’t anymore. It’s just a catchy nickname for ya.

Try not any at all. It's hard for me to make friends.

Cory Walker:
Sent 6:14pm

Did you at least have ONE friend in high school?

Gracie:
Sent 6:16pm

I only had one best friend I met freshman year, but that's only because she talked enough for the both of us. It's the only way introverts like me could get any friends lol.

Cory Walker:
Sent 6:20pm

Either that or a "potential serial killer" randomly selects you to catfish.

Gracie:
Sent 6:21pm

Haha. Very funny. Even if I didn’t look you up, you didn’t send me a picture, you still could’ve been dangerous. I must be a desperate dumbass to befriend a stranger like you.

You know, that little comment wouldn't help your case, potential serial killer.

Cory Walker:
Sent 6:21pm

Yeah, but someday, somehow, I would've proven it to you, android girl.