Chapter 31: You Should've Told Them To Fuck Off

Chapter 31: 𝓨𝓸𝓾 𝓢𝓱𝓸𝓾𝓵𝓭'𝓿𝓮 𝓣𝓸𝓵𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓶 𝓣𝓸 𝓕𝓾𝓬𝓴 𝓞𝓯𝓯

Monday, August 1st

Cory was eating dinner while watching a movie when he felt an urge to text Gracie. He'd been growing more curious about her speech condition. She didn't talk about it much and he wanted to know more about how it affected her - how it even started.

Cory Walker:
Sent 6:10pm

This may seem out of the blue.

Tell me more about your dysarthria. What caused it?

Gracie Summers:
Sent 6:10pm

It started when I was born. I don't know much about what happened.

Cory Walker:
Sent 6:11pm

What do you know about it?

Gracie Summers:
Sent 6:19pm

The cord was wrapped around my neck, I was in the NICU for two weeks and it got to the point where my godmother almost sued the hospital.

It was a whole big thing.

The idiot doctors pulled me out with forceps, leaving scars on the sides of my head. Thank God my Great Auntie Terrie had a priest bless me which played a big role in my recovery.

I had to attend all kinds of therapy. I was sent to neurologist to neurologist when I was three...

That's pretty much all I know.

Cory Walker:
Sent 6:20pm

Shit.

That's a lot.

I guess I have Great Auntie Terrie to thank for keeping you alive.

Gracie Summers:
Sent 6:24pm

Ikr?

The craziest part was that I got bullied because of it. Because I was different and I learned things at a slower pace.

At least that's why I think they bullied me.

Even my 'best friend' at the time was one of them.

Cory Walker:
Sent 6:24pm

You should've told them to fuck off.

Especially your best friend.

Gracie Summers:
Sent 6:25pm

Apparently she was blackmailed to.

Cory Walker:
Sent 6:27pm

If I knew you back then, I would've treated you with more respect.

I would've been there for you if anyone made some sort of bitchy comment about you.

It was nice for her to know that he would've stuck by her side. Knowing that slowed down the tears that were moistening her cheeks. The image of a little Cory defending her caused her to giggle.

Gracie Summers:
Sent 6:29pm

Then I wish you were there.

Cory Walker:
Sent 6:29pm

I wish I was there too.

Gracie Summers:
Sent 6:37pm

And the bullying at work hasn’t gotten any better. As a matter of fact, it’s gotten worse. Addie’s still giving me a hard time about my speech and even if I slur a little bit, she makes fun of me for it. She’s making comments about how my family would’ve been better off without me.

For Gracie, Cory’s heart dropped to the bottom of his stomach and the pieces exploded all over the floor. Even his vital organ couldn’t handle hearing any more of what the bully had been saying to her, nor the mental image of tears racing down her cheeks.

For Addie, his body was vibrating with nothing but fury. There was nothing that could satisfy him more than throwing his fists to that girl’s face, but his mom taught him better than that, no matter how much the girl pissed him off. 

Cory Walker: 
Sent 6:40pm

Why don’t you quit? Or better yet, report her?

Gracie Summers:
Sent 6:42pm

I need the money, but I can’t report her. What if the manager fires her? I don’t know her situation. Maybe she needs the money too. 

Also, she’d know it was me and bitch about me snitching on her.

Cory Walker:
Sent 6:45pm

Oh, Gracie. You’re far too good for this world. I don’t think I would just let that go.

Gracie Summer:
Sent 6:49pm

I know that reporting her could be the only way to make it stop, but I just need to ignore her. No matter how harsh her words may be.

-