Chapter 34: Stay Away From My Boyfriend

Kendall Whitman - regular and underlined

Chapter 34: 𝓢𝓽𝓪𝔂 𝓐𝔀𝓪𝔂 𝓕𝓻𝓸𝓶 𝓜𝔂 𝓑𝓸𝔂𝓯𝓻𝓲𝓮𝓷𝓭

Thursday, August 11th

Cory was sitting at a corner booth at the diner with his plate of chocolate chip waffles sitting untouched in front of him. He couldn't get his mind off Gracie and their conversation the night before. He liked her and all of her flaws, but she wouldn't believe him.

Cory hadn't slept well; he was running on three hours and a mug of coffee that rested beside the plate. He was in his white 'Don't Talk To Me' hoodie and baggy jeans. There were dark circles under his eyes and he could hardly keep them open at the soft music playing through the speakers.

When the bell above the door rang, Cory looked up and saw Kendall - the woman whose number he put in his phone wrong that day. She was in a yellow sundress, her brown hair was curled and her caramel eyes were framed by obviously-fake lashes. She approached the counter to put in her order before she started scanning the room for a place to sit while she waited. Once she saw him, her face lit up.

He sat back with his arms crossed, but that didn't stop her from walking toward him.

"Cory Walker? Is that you?"

"Kendall," he greeted in a bored tone. He wanted her to leave so he could mope in peace.

"I gave you my number months ago. Why didn't you text me?"

"Would you mind leaving me alone? I'm not in the mood to talk to anyone right now." He picked up his phone and tried to text Gracie. Just once.

Cory Walker:
Sent 10:35am

Call me.

We need to talk.

"If you excuse me, I need to use the bathroom." Cory stood up from his seat and put his phone in his back pocket.

Unlocked.

Curious, Kendall watched him leave before slipping his phone out and reading all the text messages between Cory and Gracie. Something shifted in her. One minute, she was determined to find out the reason behind his change of interest in her and the next, a frown touched her lips when she saw a picture.

The girl looked gorgeous with mascara accentuating her long lashes, neutral-colored lipstick dressing up her thin lips and blush coloring in her cheeks. She resembled a princess in her dress with her mid-length hair curled like that. She suddenly understood why Cory was upset, reading the rest of their text messages up until the most recent one.

Her heart that once yearned for him dropped to the bottom of her stomach. An idea popped into her head and with that, her plump lips crawled into a mischievous smirk as she started typing.

Cory Walker:
Sent 10:38am

Hey

Gracie Summers:
Sent 10:40am

If you text me one more time, I'm blocking you.

Cory Walker:
Sent 10:40am

Good. But before you do, I just want to say .

Stay away from my boyfriend.

He's mine.

Gracie Summers:
Sent 10:41am

He has a girlfriend?

Kendall was in the middle of texting her back when Cory was walking back to the table.

Cory stopped in his tracks when he saw Kendall with his phone in her hands. His hands balled into fists and his face turned red in anger. "What the fuck are you doing with my phone?"

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
[ A/N ] ❀ Proofreading & Editing by Julie_ProofEdit