13

Xander's POV

Life hasn't always been that easy for me, though I survived through all of those hardships, I can't deny that my looks did help me make life easier, but together with those advantages were a fair amount of annoyance and more nuisances in my life. Because for every decision you make there will always be a consequence. That's how karma goes.

Xander 16 years ago~

They're fighting again. I thought to myself. Can't they at least fight tomorrow, today's my 6th birthday. Kids in my class are always so happy and excited when their birthday comes. But then, why am I not like them? I thought seemingly questioning myself.

I don't even know who's at fault here anymore. My Mom cheats on my Dad. While my Dad abuses my Mom. I went closer to my bedroom door and peeked through the small opening gap there. There I saw my father beating up my mother. Again. Though it wasn't a new sight to see, I could never get over how painful that must be for my mother.

"Please, please stop. I'm sorry."

"You still dare to continuously cheat on me and hook up with some random guys on the street. Then why don't have sex with me, huh? Come on, do it. Do what you do to those disgusting pigs, you whore!" My dad said as he forced himself to my mom...

"If you had just stopped doing this to me I would've stopped. But you didn't, did you?! So why should I stop as well?! I'm just trying to find the comfort that you lack, I'm trying to find them from other men because you don't give it to me!" My dad simply scoffed at what my mom said.

"You're doing this because of that?! You should be thankful that I'm not killing that bastard child of yours yet! He's not even my child! What I'm doing to the both of you is being merciful, you goddamn bitch!" He continued forcing himself on my mother whilst still slapping her. Reality dawned on me hard that night. If only I just forced myself to sleep that night, I would not have heard those words. If only I just curled like a ball at the farthest corner of my room where their screams weren't that audible. If only...?

Would something have changed if I did those stuff?

Ten Years After~

Robert (My Adoptive Father) and my mother's marriage reached its last straw of chances and hope a few months ago. And as I am still a minor, I had to stay with either one of them, which I don't want to do. Thankfully, my maternal grandparents took me in, and the few months that I've been with them were a blessing to me. They took care of me really well, better than I have ever cared for in my entire life. 

After finding out that Robert was actually not my biological dad, I never really tried to find my real dad. He left both me and mom and other than that, I don't really care anymore.

Five Years After~

I finally graduated college, and I followed in my grandfather's footsteps and also became a police officer, just like him. I wanted to be at the top of my class as a way to give back for all the things they did for me. On the day of my graduation, my grandparents looked so proud, which also made me so proud of myself and what I accomplished.

But just a few months after that. My Grandfather died of cancer, and just due to the devastation, my grandmother's health deteriorated, and painstakingly slowly followed grandfather, where ever that is...  

After they died I slowly tried to fix my relationship with my mother as it was both of my grandparents' last dying wishes, and who am I to not grant it, right?

Back to Present~

Sasha Marie, my one and only ex-girlfriend of 3 years, my grandparents know her, they were actually fond of her and I thought that she's actually the one I'll be marrying. But faith got into play, and we both just fell apart. Well don't get us wrong, there wasn't any cheating or any of that sort. But after she and I broke up she didn't go into any relationship for 2 months, but it was so obvious to me that she only did that out of respect and that another man caught her heart already. 

I led her inside a restaurant near the station. We just caught up with what's going on in our lives. I found out that she's engaged with that guy he dated after me. Well, at least she's happy that's what's important to me after all.

"So, Sasha, why did really come here?"

"Oh, actually as I've told you earlier I'm engaged and I'm also actually pregnant."

"Oh, wow, congratulations!" I said genuinely happy for her.

"Yeah..."  she said looking troubled, "Actually I've been meaning to tell you this for a long time, believe me. I want to tell you this because my conscience has been bugging me ever since..."

"Okay..." I said pushing her to go on. "When we broke up... I was actually pregnant back then..." She said voice lessening for every word she uttered.

"You were what?! Wha-what happened to the child did you abort him? What?!" I said trying to calm my rage and despair for my unborn child. 

"No, no of course not! I didn't know I was pregnant. I only found out when I was bleeding a lot and had to be rushed to the hospital. I miscarried the child, Xan. I miscarried the child without even knowing he was there." She said. Facedown and crying from the shame and guilt she felt all these years.