|4| The settlement

He leaves the room and I finally get to actually breathe

He leaves the room and I finally get to actually breathe. I hadn't slept all night overthinking about what might happen to me. Hearing him talking with Carlos about how I should be killed made everything real, even if he said that that will never happen. Why would I believe them? They are criminals -or at least they appear to be- so if I want to get out of here alive I have to play my cards right. If he wanted me to be his doctor and not ask questions then that's exactly what I will do. Because might be dumb but I do believe his word about letting me go.

I hope I'm not wrong.

Laying over the bed I try to rest for a bit, the last thing I needed was to fuck something up for not being focused. Sleep came fast due to the lack of it and I probably was out for an hour when the door opened. Carlos, who I have figured it's his brother standing at the door. The exact same serious look on his face, smiling is definitely not his thing.

"Get your bag, we are getting out of here." He says as rude as always.

"Going where?" I get up from the bed and walk away from him slowly. I may not trust Matteo but I trust him even less.

"Get your bag." He repeats.

"I'm not going anywhere if it's not Matteo who says it." After hearing how he wanted to get rid of me I don't think going with him is a smart move.

And It's not like Matteo is any better but he is easier to figure out. Not because of lack of complexity, both of them excel at that but because he is clear with his intentions. Or at least he looks like he is.

"Matteo told me to come get you." He clenches his jaw. Two whole seconds is the amount of time his patience lasts.

"If he isn't here. I'm not going." I dare to say again but I instantly regret it when he gets inside the room and walks to me. I give another step back but I'm met with the wall.

"Well he isn't here. I am. So get the fucking bag and come with me." He grabs my arm with force.

It's not like I can fight him, I know my odds against a man who barely fits under a door and whose legs are probably my whole body weight so I take the bag and wish for the best.

Leaving the room we go down some stairs and get out from what looks like a back door. A few black cars are parked outside, we walk up to one.

"Get in." The not so gentle giant says opening the door and when I look over and see Matteo sitting on the other side I feel a relieving sensation going across my body.

"Are you okay?" He asks me when I leave a big breath out.

"I'm ok. I just thought he- I'm fine." I try to explain but stop mid sentence.

I just thought your brother was about to kill me, is probably not what he wants to hear right now. But something tells me I don't have to answer for him to know what I was thinking.