|11| The change

Giving like the hundredth lap around my room I finally decide to stop and sit down

Giving like the hundredth lap around my room I finally decide to stop and sit down. I know I fucked up questioning Carlos so I just hide up here. I have no idea if we are even going to get lunch since Felix it's not here and I wasn't informed about anything. But to be fair knowing I might not have to face them together once more was relieving.

Looking around the room I see the book Matteo recommended sitting on the bedside table. I had nothing better to do so I pick it up and move a chair next to the window.

I keep reading until my stomach starts to growl, checking the time I found out it's six in the afternoon. I have been reading for hours and didn't even notice. The book being close to an end.

There are two options, keep reading and wait until dinner or risk it and go down now. And if I didn't want to cross anyone going now seems like the best option so leaving the book behind I leave the room. The kitchen doors are wide open as always and no one seems to be inside so I get in. Opening the pantry I am about to take some crackers when I hear steps getting near. There is nowhere to hide so I just accept my fate.

"Oh, hello." I hear a woman's voice and I turn around slowly, she is older than me, probably in her forties. Deep black hair with some scattered whites and soft brown eyes.

"Hi." I say with the crackers still in my hand.

"Who are you? Are you here with any of the boys?" She asks confused.

"I'm Danielle, Matteo's.. friend." I'm not sure if I can tell her who I am so I go with the first thing that comes to mind.

"Oh, you must be Miss Black, Mr Russo told me you will be here. I'm Marina, the housekeeper." She says with a polite smile.

"Nice to meet you. I was just getting some food since the staff is out, hope it's okay." I explain.

"Of course Miss, if you want me to prepare something for you just tell me. I will be making dinner today for everyone around 9pm."

"Perfect thank you. I will go up now." I say moving towards the door and sprint upstairs.

I didn't want to be downstairs longer than necessary as it could mean crossing paths with one of the brothers and I did well because just when I get inside the room I hear Carlos' door open. That was pretty close.

Placing the crackers over the bed I take the book again and start reading. As I keep turning the pages I start to understand Matteo's description. The book isn't only beautiful but rather feels like an analogy.

Charlie the main character is a mentally disabled person who aspired to be nothing but a cleaning boy until they gave him the opportunity to become smarter through an experiment. It narrates every emotion he goes through and shows to perfection how that intelligence, that thing he seeks comes with a price.

I could see Matteo as the other side of the coin, a man who was born a genius and got everything put over his shoulders. Someone who wants to understand the real world and feel it but whose mind can't stop seeking that knowledge that also comes with a price.