|61| The trial

Four months later

Four months later

So today is the day, after numerous hearings and failed attempts of talking an equally beneficial deal Matteo has his actual trial. The case only kept growing as time passed and it feels as if the whole of New York knows about it. It will also be open to the public and with a jury.

That dragged in more of the press who wouldn't leave me alone already and when my belly started to show a few weeks ago everything got worse. No dignity in sight, they all came at me with all they got, question after question and comment after comment. Some of the things I heard them say are honestly brutal.

I try to act tough on the days they let me see Matteo, which aren't a lot, but he sees past that and feels so guilty about it. He knew this would happen and even if now I understand why he tried to keep me away from this mess I wouldn't change anything, I'm here for him no matter the circumstances.

I'm at thirty four weeks and the baby is as healthy as it could be. I could know the gender by now but it didn't feel right to do it without Matteo.

Lily is the one who has been coming with me to the last eco's as Carlos is busy trying to find his father. His focus drifted to him when he finally got better, saying he didn't deserve to be free after everything he had done. I understand but I do miss him sometimes, not as much as I miss Miles, every time I'm alone it reminds me of when he will come with food to try and cheer me up. I still keep contact with his sisters and make sure they have everything they need.

"Hey, you ready? Carlos is waiting outside the house with the driver." Lily comes to my room.

I also moved back with her, I tried to go back to the house when the police left but it was too much and Carlos wasn't there at the beginning anyways so staying there didn't feel right.

"Yeah, I just can get myself to fit into this dress." I try to put it up but it doesn't go by my bump.

"Your belly is growing Danni." She laughs walking up to help me.

"At light speed because I bought it a week ago." I say in frustration. I'm supposed to be on the last few weeks I didn't think I would grow this much.

"Hey, wear something else, I'm sure you have stuff that will work perfectly." She goes to look at my wardrobe.

"I wanted to wear this, I bought it for the occasion." I keep trying but it doesn't move an inch.

It is fair to say that I'm overwhelmed by anything and even if the morning sickness has gotten better my mood changes in seconds.