|18| The getting back

With one last look I get inside and Lily spawns in front of me

"Who was that hunk of a man?" She asks straight away.

"Yeah, I'm doing okay thank you for asking Lily." I move out of her way.

"Oh come on I know you are okay we talked remember, now who is he?" She follows me.

"He is just a driver, they got it for me at the hospital." I lie through my teeth, it's not like I could tell her the truth anyway.

"Well you better ask the hospital for his number." She laughs and leaves me alone in my room.

I place the bag Matteo gave me over the bed and take the stuff out. Just at the bottom, I find a new copy of the book I couldn't finish reading and left behind. A sticky note over it.

"Guessed you wouldn't take it with you and I wanted to make sure you had the opportunity to finish it." - M

I find myself smiling but I quickly stop and take the note out putting it inside the book that I place over my desk. The little things he did like paying attention or making sure I was comfortable confused me more than anything. Could he actually care? God, I have to get myself together.

Changing into some comfortable clothes I get out of my room and go to the kitchen where Lily was cooking lunch.

"Got his number?" She smirks.

"Give me food please." I brush her question off and help her with the food.

"Ok now for real how are you?" She sets the salad bowl over the kitchen island and turns to me.

"I'm okay, there was nothing more I could do." I keep my act.

"You are an amazing doctor and did everything that was in your hand." She hugs me softly. "Now let's eat, I added goat cheese to the salad, your favourite." She gives me her comforting smile and I relax a little.

I have become an amazing liar in this last week apparently because fooling Lily is no easy task and she seems to be buying this bullshit. And this is just making me feel worse.

"How was work here?" I change the subject as we sit down to eat.

"As usual, I had to explain where you were to half the of the hospital though. You were missed." She keeps eating.

"Who did you tell?" I get a little nervous.

"Alex, Tara, this new kid resident, and some more. People who asked basically." She says without giving it much importance.

"Did the chief say anything?" I didn't even ask Matteo about what he told my hospital.

"Nah he was an ass like always and asked when you will be back." She takes another bite.

"Oh ok, perfect." I take a big sip of water.

"Oh remember there's this talk about the new wing opening in the hospital tomorrow, you have to be there." She reminds me.