|7| The book

In the end, I settled by having breakfast on my own

In the end, I settled by having breakfast on my own. And after a difficult night of sleep, the last thing I wanted was to get down for lunch but I said I would be there so there was no backing down now. Trying to calm myself I breathed in a few times a got out of the room.

Just when I do so Carlos is also leaving his room. Was the world against me more than usual today?

"Danielle, fancy seeing you here." He gives me a forced smile.

Not a morning person from what I can gather but then again when is he ever in a good mood?

"Carlos." I greet him politely and walk faster to the stairs but with him being even taller than Matteo he is on my side in seconds.

We walk down the stairs next to each other in pure silence until we reach the kitchen. He walks in first and stops on my chair taking it away for me to sit. Matteo looks at this interaction from the head of the table.

"Thank you," I mutter in confusion.

"No problem." Carlos pushes my chair back in place and sits in his place.

Sitting down awkwardly I move my eyes between the brothers who only look at each other for a good few seconds. Carlos with his usual unbothered stare and Matteo with his dominant one.

"I hope you are hungry, the cooks are doing their signature dish," Matteo says through gritted teeth forgetting about his brother.

"I'm starving," I say trying not to get sucked in into the awkwardness.

Matteo gives me a polite nod just when Felix gets inside the room with a waiter following him.

"Here's the food," Felix announces as the waiter places everything down.

"Go first please," Matteo tells me and I take the pan with my bad hand without noticing causing me to wince a little.

Both of them look at my hand.

"Are you okay?" Matteo asks slowly.

"Yes, I just forgot." I brush it off not wanting any more attention than necessary.

Carlos gets up and takes the pan to serve me my food.

"My apologies, I didn't think I had hurt you." He says with a convincing tone.

Trying to ignore the suddenly considerate behavior I just give him a nod and look back at my plate before taking a bite.

"How do you like it?" Matteo asks.

"It's amazing." I definitely understand why it's their specialty.

Their focus is back on me, watching my every move and listening to every word I say as if I were the most interesting thing they had seen in a while.

"If there's something you would like to eat just tell me and I will inform the cooks." He says as he starts to eat.

"Hmm— thank you." I think before answering his offer.