|49| The prisoners

A week later

A week later

"How is he?" I ask as soon as Matteo gets inside the room.

He arrived home sooner, I heard the door but I'm guessing he was in the office. This last few days have been hard, working a lot.

"He is getting better, Rodríguez said he will be going home tomorrow morning." He takes his suit jacket off.

"He will be coming here?" I ask a little nervous.

"No, he will be staying closer to the clinic in a apartment we have. Mia will be taking care of him." He explains.

"Oh okay."  I leave my book over the bedside table. "And how's the search for the people who did this?"

"We are getting closer, one of the men we captured said some stuff that makes sense. As soon as Carlos is safe I will keep digging." He hangs his clothes inside the wardrobe.

"That's good news then." I crawl to sit over the bed next to him.

"It is." He looks a little concerned.

"What's going on?" I ask. "You seem off."

This is supposed to be good news yet he looks troubled. He is always so sure of himself so when he is like this I know something is clearly wrong.

"I'm just worried. We are getting close and that's going to mean problems." He replies vaguely.

"Did something happen? Has the FBI interfered again?" I stand up and walk up to him.

"Don't worry about this, the less you know the better." He gives me a small smile and goes to the bathroom.

And there it goes again, brushing it off as if it were nothing.

"I thought we said you won't keep me in the dark." I follow him to the bathroom.

"There's some sides to this you probably won't like to know about believe me." He turns the shower on.

"Or maybe I want to know everything." I stop him before he enters the shower.

"I don't think that's a good idea." He shakes his head. "Now can I shower please? You can join me if you want." He looks down at my hand that's stopping him.

"Yes sorry." I let go of his arm. "But I think I'm going back to my book thanks."

"Okay, we can read together after if you want." He says before I leave.