The end (edited version)

(Author's note

(Author's note. So this is a little weird I'm aware but let me explain. I have been meaning to edit this story for a long time since it was my first work and so much stuff is really questionable. And one of the things I dislike most is how unrealistic the ending is and how difficult it makes it for me to continue this series and make it believable. That's why I decided to update this provisional new ending that will probably be the actual one once I edit this whole story when I have time. I will leave the original ending too for now but this will be the one that holds, for TDR and TDK the ending will be this! Sorry for the confusion it may cause but it's really necessary for the books that follow this one.)

Three years and a half later

"Come on Miles baby, we are going to see daddy," I call Miles who is playing with his train toy on my bedroom rug.

"Daddy?" His face lights up at the mention of Matteo.

"Yes, I told you remember? They will let you come in this time." I smile as he puts his arms up so I can pick him up. "And some little bird told me he has something very special for you." I kiss his cheek and he chuckles lightly.

After three and a half years of good behavior, many letters to the case manager, and Matteo giving information about every criminal activity he has been involved in allowing the FBI to put behind bars an endless list of criminals they finally cut him a deal. He has one more thing to give, one more person to give up and if everything goes well tomorrow will be his last day in prison, and today is the first time we will be able to see him in a room without bars, something we have been waiting a long time for.

It's hard enough for me to see him and not be able to touch him but the hardest is definitely him not being able to touch Miles. Every time they let me visit I could see how painful it was for him to just look from behind a window. There's nothing as beautiful as picking up your baby and the fact that he couldn't killed us both.

But somehow we made it work and even with minimal contact Miles learned to love his dad. I made sure to talk every single day about him and show him pictures so he would always be present, Carlos did the same.

Lily moved in with Tara a year ago and it was just me and Miles in the house. She helped me so much in the beginning as taking care of a baby alone is definitely not easy but I didn't want to hold her down any longer.

I lost my job at the hospital due to everything that went on but Matteo made sure we had enough money to live without worrying so my full-time job now is taking care of the little one and sometimes I also help at a clinic I invested in some months ago.

Carlos visits often, he loves Miles and Miles loves him just the same. They have so much fun together and having someone from Matteo's family with him is really important.