Chapter 73 - Better Nate Than Ever

- Chapter 73 - Also Known as, "Now Them Soakers is in for a Soaking" -
Warnings: mentions of toxic friends, getting beat up, sadness, injuries, threats
Third Person POV

Grayson sat down on the floor next to Nathan.

Nathan had ice pressed against one of the bruises on his arm. He didn't look at Grayson, just staring off.

Nathan had gotten checked out by Finn's mom when he went with him the day before. She said everything seemed fine, but to tell her if it started hurting more. She said he could dance, but nothing too intense and to try not to use his arms.

Grayson looked at Nathan. "How are you holding up?" they asked softly.

"Fine," Nathan answered, sounding anything but fine.

Grayson sighed. "I'm sorry, Nate."

"Why? It's not your fault," Nathan responded, still staring off into the distance. "I was the idiot who didn't realize they're toxic and don't care," he grumbled softly, seeming annoyed with himself.

Grayson frowned. "You're not an idiot, Nathan," they told him. "It's a hard thing to realize when you convince yourself it's just because they care," they said. "I've been through it too," they informed him. "I know how it feels and I'm so sorry."

Nathan finally looked over at them. He swallowed a bit. "How did you cope?" he asked softly. "When you realized," he added.

Grayson cracked a smile. "Lots of Ben and Jerry's," they answered.

Nathan laughed lightly. "Sounds nice."

Grayson nodded. "A bunch of us are gathering at the Millers' tonight," they started softly. "Wanna join? There will be lots of Ben and Jerry's," they joked.

Nathan smiled slightly. "Sure."

Grayson silently celebrated. Step one: done. "Alright, I'm riding with Matt and Sawyer when we go," they informed him. "You can ride with us or Isabella and Jada, who are taking Ollie and Fisher," they explained.

Nathan thought for a moment. "You guys are very annoying and like to tease me..." he trailed off, looking up at Grayson.

Grayson rolled their eyes playfully. "If you don't want us to tease you, stop being so tease-able," they responded. They poked Nathan's side.

Nathan squealed and quickly rolled away from Grayson, the ice he had previously been holding against his arm now abandoned and forgotten about on the floor.

Grayson chuckled.

Nathan looked up when he heard a voice from behind him.

"Is this you saying we're too annoying to ride with?"

Nathan's eyes met Matthew's and he almost immediately noticed that Matthew was smirking.

Nathan's eyes widened as he quickly scrambled back. "No!" he blurted out.

Matthew chuckled, his arms crossed. "Really? Cause that's what it sounds like," he commented.

Nathan went to respond, when Grayson grabbed him from behind and started tickling him. He squealed. "Grayson! No!" He started laughing as he squirmed, trying to get away from Grayson.

Grayson laughed as they ticked him.

Matthew chuckled as he watched.

All of a sudden, Nathan felt himself get pulled out of Grayson's arms and picked up.

"Come on, guys," Isabella chuckled, her arms crossed, "you're not supposed to hurt him even more."

Grayson rolled their eyes at her. "We weren't hurting him."