Broken monotony...

& 10.04.2023

POV SANS

(Dark... quiet... darker... quieter... -NS!)

(What just happened...? SAN-!)

(Where is Chara...?)

- SANS WAKE UP YOU LAZY BONES! - screamed Papyrus my younger brother.

- Aaaaaaa! Papyrus...!? - I shouted a little scared while falling off the bed. My head felt heavy and my sight was still blurry.

- Wake up Sans, we can't be late for patrol! What if a human will appear!? I the great Papyrus will be the one to capture the human and then I will be the royal guard...blah...blah...Great Papyrus...blah - Papyrus went on to his usual speech... I had lost count of how many times I have heard it by now. Sorry, Paps no way I'm gonna listen to it again... I remember it word for word after all...

- Sure thing bro you are gonna make it. Okay so guess I'm going for a patrol. - In a hurry, I said my goodbyes to Paps taking my jacket off the bed while leaving the room and then I used a "shortcut".

I appeared at the front doors leading from the Ruins to the Snowdin Forest. I was uneasy staying there knowing that this demon is going to open those doors any moment from now on.

I don't even know why I'm here it's not like I'm gonna kill monsters with that megalomaniac... I won't be like her. - I said to myself quietly while looking at the snow beneath my slippers.

My monologue was cut short by Chara who was just exiting the Ruins. - You're here comedian! - She said with her common psychotic smile. I looked at her and I instantly saw it, dust all over her clothes. I froze the feeling of helplessness dropped on my shoulders.

Chara looked at me then at herself and it seemed like she already knew why I'm just standing dead silent. - Don't worry that only means you will have fewer people on conscience but remember it's only this time. Next time Ruins are also your partner~ - she said while moving past me. - Let's move we got a lot ahead of us.

I didn't know why but my body started moving behind her. Just as if I lost control over it. Was it from fear or maybe my conscience was getting corrupted by this demon... We walked slowly but surely not so long later I saw my first patrol station and my handy "conveniently shaped lamp".

- STOP! - I shouted. Finally getting back control over myself. Chara surprised by my sudden burst stopped and turned around to look at me. - I don't know what games you want me to play with you but remember I'm not and I will never be like you! You dirty murderer!

- Ech... Sans look around you, the world has already started to change... this timeline has broken from the loop. - Chara exclaimed excitedly and laughed. For me, it wasn't funny in the slightest instead I felt a weird sense of disgust and worry. - Sans isn't it nice to feel something new?

- What do you mean? - I asked.

- Think about it. Did this situation ever happen before? Did you ever has made effort to greet me at Ruins doors? We aren't repeating ourselves this time. We are doing something "new" together... Come on Sans. - Her hand reached out to me waiting for me to grab her, she smiled but there was something odd about it... it was an honest smile. I could tell because of years of work as a judge, I have begin to know what others think and what emotions they have by just by looking at their faces.

I don't know what went into me but I grabbed her hand with hesitation. She started to pull me towards Snowdin. I didn't want to go forward so I was slacking behind her. For a moment I thought that maybe it won't be a genocide run but a neutral one I didn't even try to think about a pacifist one... neutral is best I can get, which would be a nice change compared to the never-ending genocide loop. This thought quickly disappeared from my head it's just not real with this demon. Just as we were to go further Chara stopped.

- Ohh look who's coming to greet us! - she said pointing in the distance.

I raised my head and looked ahead of me and then I saw it. The silhouette of my brother coming our way. I looked Chara in the eyes and I saw a killing intent in them. My body froze in place yet I still screamed in hopes of saving Papyrus. - Papyrus run! Don't come any closer! Run! Run away! - I shouted as hard as I could but Papyrus was too far away to hear me. To my surprise, Chara just stood there watching me giggling slightly but she didn't try to stop me instead she turned to my face and said-

- Come you piteous comedian, we need to hide you. You are not ready for him, not yet. - I was dragged behind my patrol station and then thrown to the ground. Chara sited on my legs and pointed the knife at me so that I wouldn't try to escape. When we were finally "hidden" the footsteps of my bro were starting to get louder. Once they stopped I realized he was already there standing in his usual spot. I managed to hear Papyrus saying-

- Hmm, where are those lazy bones... - I suppose he was looking around for me but after a moment he decided to leave. We were listening to his footsteps slowly getting quieter till we couldn't hear them anymore. Once that Chara got off me and pulled me back to the road. Why would she do this? I thought about it for a moment but I couldn't understand her actions. She was unlogical.

- Why did you do that? - I asked hungry for answers.

- As I was saying you are not rea- - I cut into her words.

- Ready for what!? I told you already I'm not going to kill anybody! - I responded with anger.

- We will see about that~ - on her face once again was this murderous smile. What the hell did I get myself into?

Chara offered me her hand again most likely she wanted me to again grab her so she could continue to pull me. I didn't give her satisfaction and I kept my hand in my pocket. Seeing that Chara stopped then got close to me and pulled out my hand out of my pocket by force and grabbed it. Confused and angry with her I took my hand away and hid it in my pocket. Chara's expression became slightly angry and she again pulled out my hand and grabbed it. Getting frustrated I just let her win. I don't know what she is planning but it's better to be on her good side. It's not like I expect much of her to begin with but maybe just maybe... This might be a good run...? Heh, who am I kidding I'll die as soon as she gets bored...

- Hey Sans, you know... I just want to say... Thank you... for holding my hand... - Chara said looking away.

Slightly confused I looked at my hand to see that I instinctively grabbed her hand back. I guess I must've done it while I was caught thinking. - Sure... - I replied harshly and after that, I started going forward at my usual pace.

- Let's slow down a little... let this moment be... - Chara said and looked at me, her eyes as if begging for it.

- Okay... - I replied not knowing how to react. My head was a total mess, I had so many questions to ask but I didn't even know how to ask her... With my head in shambles, I slowly moved forward...

Is this timeline really going to be different...?