Chapter 29

Almost a month passed without any sign from Loki or Barnes. I spent most if not all of my time on making that spell and it's almost ready, but I have to find him in order to finish it.

That's why I decided to visit an old friend of his, in the new Avengers center.
"I need to see Captain Rogers" I say as I approach the front desk

"Do you have a badge?" the guy asks

"No, but he knows me" I answer

"I'm sorry, I can't let you in" he says

"I didn't ask for your permission" I remind him

"Security!" he calls

"I tried to be nice..." I sigh and I wave my hand in front of his eyes, hypnotizing him.

"Is there a problem?" the security gueard asks as he gets to us

"No, my mistake" I make the desk guy say. The guard nods and walks away.

"Now, where is Rogers?" I ask again

"He should be in one of the rooms on the top floor but you need one of the admitted handprints to get in" he answers

"See? It wasn't that hard" I say and I go to the elevator. Like he said it needed a handprint recognition to get to the top floor. Of course, I had already everyone's handprints stolen since the moment I met them. So I pull Nat's over mine and I press the button.

'Welcome Agent Romanoff' appears on the screen as the elevator starts.

As soon as the doors open, I see Steve in front of me
"You're not Natasha" he says

"I'm not, but I was looking for you. Do you have a minute?" I ask

"No, actually. And you should leave before Fury sees you here" he answers as he gets in the elevator.

I put my hand on the door, not letting it close
"It's about Sergeant Barnes". He freezes the moment I say his name.

"Come with me" he says immediately and I follow him to one of the conference rooms.

"He came to find me 28 days ago. He asked me if I could help him remember his past, including you. And I did. He remembered everything from his past and most of the things that happened with Hydra but he left immediately after we finished" I explain

"During my research, I found a mention about a program the put in his head..." he mentions

"Yes, and I may have created a spell that could delete that program" I finally say as I hand him a paper with some very simplified notes.

"Why do you want to help him?" he asks as he takes a look at it

"Because if he becomes the Winter Soldier again, he's going to come after me again" I answer.

"And you are sure that it's going to work?" he asks

"The reason I came to you is because I need to find him. I need to examine his mind one more time in order to finish the spell and then I'm going to be ready to perform it. It's a new spell, it hasn't been performed before, so there's always a risk. But given my skills, I'm positive everything will work out" I explain.
"I know you don't fully trust me and, frankly, I don't give a damn. I just want to be sure that he's not going to hunt me again" I add.

"Fine. If I learn something, I'll let you know. But if you find him first, you call me before you do anything" he requests

"Deal" I agree and we exchange phone numbers.

"One more question" he says before I exit the room
"Are you still close with Loki?" he asks

"Why are you asking?"

"Just checking if I can trust you" he answers

"No...? Honestly... it's complicated" I admit as I look down at my phone and he nods.

I didn't lie to Steve. I have no idea what Loki and I are right now. 28 days ago I hated the fact that I was still thinking about him, but after our reunion, all my feelings for him resurfaced. And I am still waiting for him to return, like he promised, but he hasn't shown any signs of life yet. Did he just use me? It wouldn't be out of character for him.

I return to my apartment and I pour myself some of the good whiskey I stole from Stark today. I go to bed and I lay out my notes. I take one more look at my spell as I slowly sip my drink.

I just need to find the guinea pig. And when the spell works, I'll have cracked the code. I'll be able to get into anyone's mind in seconds, even Loki's, with just a look at them.

Since Rogers will be there, Barnes will have to survive the spell in the beginning. Then out of nowhere he will have a stroke, for example, a few days later. He will die due to natural causes and Hydra will finally be down for good. No more running and no more nightmares.

I don't need Loki. I don't need anyone. I'm doing great on my own and soon I'll be even better.
Where are you Barnes?