Chapter 34

Loki's POV
We got to Earth as we originally planned. Banner suggested we go to the Avengers compound so he and Stark would be able to test how secure is the pocket dimension I trapped Thanos in.

But that was the least of my worries. I carried Katelyn back to her old room there, because I couldn't bare to get her to the morgue. I let her down softly on her bed and I sit next to her.

I take her hand in mine and I squeeze it. She's getting colder and her chest is still. Tears fill my eyes again as I look at her face.

I'm never going to see her again. I'm never going to see her smile, or make her smile. I'm never going to be able to stare into her beautiful eyes again that sometimes glow in the most beautiful shade of purple. I'm never going to feel her heart beat against mine while I hold her again.

I get down on my knees, so I'd be at her level. I still hold her hand and with my other hand, I brush her hair out of her face. I did this. I kiss her head and I start crying again.
"I'm so sorry, Katelyn. I'm sorry, I'm sorry" I whisper while keeping my forehead on her.

I'm not sure for how long I stayed like that, hoping that she'll move and wake up, or I'll wake up from this nightmare.

I hear steps approaching from behind and I quickly wipe my tears. By the sound, I can tell that it's my brother.
"Did you get the pocket dimension somewhere safe?" I ask trying to not address the elephant in the room

"Yeah, Stark and Banner are working on it" he answers and I nod.
"How are you holding up?" he asks as he places his hand on my shoulder for comfort

"I've had better days" I reply.

"Loki, what you did back there was awesome. You saved--"

"Not everyone" I complete his sentence, feeling completely defeated and I look at him with my eyes red from crying

"I called her for help, I am the reason she was there. And I took out that dagger, the only thing that could really hurt her" I explain as tears roll down my cheeks

"No one is blaming you, brother" he says

"I do. I had forged that dagger a while back. I promised her that that would kill her, but the truth is, by the time I finished it, I wished I'd never have to use it. I only made it because I wanted to keep her on edge, like she did with me" I admit as I remember the first time I showed it to her.

"You guys definitely had a weird relationship, especially in the beginning" my brother chuckles after a small pause

"More like unique" I smile as I look at her again.
"But we didn't get enough time..."

"That's exactly what she said when you were gone" he informs me

"She is right. She was always right" I admit.

Agent Romanoff storms in the room
"What happened?" she asks. I don't speak.

"Thanos..." my brother answers.

"I have to... Can one of you stay with her until I get back?" I ask

"I'll be here" Romanoff says and I nod.

I get to Katelyn's house as fast as possible and I look for her books. There must be something here that can help. I look under the bed and I find the case of the two most powerful spell books in the universe. But last time I touched it, I got blasted to the other side of the room.

Screw it. I reach under the bed and I grab it. No blast. I set it on the table and look at the runes she had casted on each side of the case for protection. They were still purple. I run my fingers over them and instead of getting thrown away from it, the runes turn green.

The case opens for me and inside was everything. The books and her notes on how she cracked their code and language. She gave me access. When she let me in her mind, she also let me in her magic. She trusted me with everything she ever accomplished, and I couldn't save her.

I pick up her notes and I take a look at her translations. Only very few witches were ever able to decode parts of those books, but she managed to do everything. Brilliant...

I take everything and I return to her. I kick everyone out of the room and I lay every book and every note on the bed next to her. I sit on the floor and start digging. There must be something here that can bring her back.

Once again I lost track of time. The sun started peaking from the curtain and on Katelyn's face. I take a moment to look at her again. I'll get you back.

"Loki?" I hear my brother's voice

"Bedroom" I answer and he walks in

"What are you doing still here? What's all this?" he asks

"She trusted me with her magic. I can't let her down" I explain.

He walks closer and picks up a piece of paper from the bed.
"What language is this?" he asks and keeps looking through papers for a sign he could recognize.
"Necromancy...?" he whispers, shocked

"I'm almost there. I just need to find one little thing..." I reply as I keep reading

"Remember what mother told you about necromancy? It is unstable and it is wrong" he says

"Well, I'm not quite known for being the good guy anyway" I remind him

"Stop" he pushes me away from the books. I hit him in my attempt to get back, but then he pushes me outside the room, closing the door behind us.

"For how long have you been awake?" he asks. I must look as horrible as I feel.

"I'm close. I'm really close, brother" I try to convince him to let me back in.

"Loki, this is madness! She's gone" he says

"No! She... She..." I start to loss my breath and tears fill my eyes again
"You don't understand, all this is my fault. Thanos had been in my mind since New York, I had plenty of time to do something about it but I didn't because I was scared. A year ago, I pushed Katelyn away because I thought she was lying... because I believed that I was not capable of being loved or trusted. I wasted time being mad at her for no reason and when I went back to her... I got her killed. She truly trusted me and I betrayed her multiple times. So I need to make it right" I explain
"I don't want to be alone again" I add.

"You are not alone!" he yells so I'd hear
"You were never alone, brother" he says calmer this time and pulls me in for a hug. I start crying again.

He stayed with me as they took her away. He stayed with me as I drank anything alcoholic I could find in that place, even though Midgardian drinks did nothing to us. And he stayed with me to make sure I eat and rest, despite how many times I yelled at him that I don't need a babysitter. My brother...