Chapter Thirty-nine

**A/N: Sorry for the late update; I hope you enjoy the chapter. The next chapter will be the ritual, with the following chapters consisting of us awakening the rest of the Mikaelsons as we prepare for Elara's curse! As I stated in a note on a previous chapter, I plan for this fic to end at fifty chapters, so we are getting close to the end of Elaras' tale. I am willing to go into a bit of the New Orleans plot, with of course loads of my own original stuff mixed in, but only if you guys want it. So let me know. This chapter has not yet been edited. **

The music that filled the awkward silence shifted from the latest hits to ear-splitting static, and I reached out, twisting the dial until I found a catchy melody that left little room for idle thought. Hastily, I lowered the visor as I turned a sharp corner and the orange glow of the setting sun nearly blinded me. Niklaus was still based at Lockwood manor and Elijah had joined him as a gesture of good faith. I felt bad for Elijah, knowing he had enjoyed the peace he gained staying with Mrs. G. I pointed the car in the direction of Lockwood manor, my mind a million miles away. About an hour before, I had called Mason and Taylor with an update, revealing that Elena and I were going to have dinner with the two Original brothers, and much to my dismay, they had both been adamant that they accompany me. It had taken a direct order, something I hated doing, for them to agree to stay at 'Wolf House' and wait for me. To ease my conscience, after ordering them around like some tyrannical dictator, I made myself a promise that I would talk Niklaus into vacating the manor so that Tylor could have his home back. It was something I should have done from the beginning, but there had been so much going on that dealing with him taking over someone else's home had been pretty low on my checklist.

Elena incessantly tapped her knuckles against her knee, and I turned my head to look at her. She had chosen to put her best foot forward, dressing up for the occasion. She was wearing her cutest Midi dress; a light blue floral lace cold-shoulder paired with sleek white platform pumps. Her long dark brown hair was curled and twisted into a crown braid. She looked remarkably like Katerina. Though, when she had stepped out of her room, her innocent doe eyes staring nervously into mine, I had chosen not to say anything. I didn't want to hurt her feelings. Why mention something she couldn't change? There would always be times when she would remind me of at least one of her ancestors. It's just another part of the doppelganger curse. Placing my hand atop hers, I stopped her idle fidgeting.

"I know you're nervous, but there's no need; everything will be okay. Truthfully, we've accomplished the hardest part. We've proven to Niklaus that breaking his curse has stipulations and he is smart enough to realize that if his mother had a caveat she will likely have a failsafe, one that would prevent him from being able to create others like himself," I said, patting her thigh.

Elena released the deep breath she had been holding, and her shoulders shuddered with the force of it. "Logically, I know everything will work out. You have proven to me time and again that you can handle whatever comes our way. You've fought werewolves, vampires, and Originals for our family, but there is that small part of me that is terrified that something will happen and you'll be hurt." Elena's deep mahogany eyes glistened and she quickly dashed away her tears, her fingers trembling as she lowered them back to her lap. "I know I haven't been the best sister since mom and dad died, and I am truly sorry for that, but Elara, I can't lose anyone else. I am not strong enough!" she declared, clenching her hands into fists.

My heart ached as I listened to her, my poor sister who had been through too much for someone her age, and would have to continue living through hell. My throat constricted and I tried to speak through the painful emotion. "Elena…I can't tell you everything will be okay, considering the circumstances, but what I can tell you is: I will do everything in my power to make sure you and our family are okay. If that means being careful, then so be it; I'll do my best," I said, smiling weakly.