Chapter Fifteen

A/N: Please, let me know what ya think of the development between Elara and Damon. When I write I only plan out the basics of my storyline, the rest just flows from me. So, sometimes what happens comes as a surprise to even me. Thanks to everyone who reviewed the last chapter, you all rock! Keep it up, please. It helps me understand how the story and Elara are being perceived I want to make sure that everyone understands who she is and her history. This chapter has been edited by my Beta Casey.

I pulled into Caroline's driveway, my eyes swimming with tears. I could barely breathe, every intake of breath came with a strangled moan of pain. I gripped the steering wheel forcefully, my knuckles turning a pinkish white. Slowly, I let go and lifted my hand, striking the wheel over and over, screaming until my throat felt like it was blistering. I'm not sure how long I sat there before I heard the door open beside me, but suddenly I was no longer alone. I leaned into Caroline's embrace, her hair sticking to my wet face.

"Oh, sweety, what happened? Elena called to make sure you were here, and I looked outside to find you like this,"

She held me tightly to her chest, whispering soothingly. I shook my head wildly, gasping out a wet cry, soaking her shirt with my tears. I clenched my fist tightly, trying to control the torrent of tears that refused to stop. Caroline reached behind my seat and pulled my bag past us, sitting it on the ground outside before gently wrapping her arms around my chest.

"Ok, let's get inside. We don't wanna freak out my mom..."

I let her pull me from the car, keeping my face on her shoulder, needing her comfort like I needed air. Everything was catching up with me — Vicki, Damon, and Jeremy. It was all too much. I kept my arms wrapped around Caroline's waist as she led me inside her dark house.

"Moms in her room for the night, so try to stay quiet. Bonnie is in my room though, she decided to spend the night," she whispered. "lucky right?"

I didn't have the strength to make a sound. Usually, I would have scoffed at the serendipitous turn of events. Still, all I could think about were my last words to Elena. They had been cruel. Caroline opened the door to her room, and Bonnie rushed to our side, her arms outstretched.

"Oh my god! What happened to her?"

She pulled my hair out of my face and ran her thumbs over my puffy eyes. I sniffled pitifully and tried to keep the waterworks at bay.

"She did it. She took them from him. She didn't even ask for his permission," I said, my voice raw.

I looked at both of them and slowly walked to Caroline's bed, very reminiscent of a zombie. I plopped down and raised my hand, closing my fingers against my palm. The door swung closed swiftly, Caroline's hair floated around her in the breeze it left behind. She squealed loudly, her face coloring pink. I turned my head and watched her closely, this would determine the rest of our friendship, it would make or break us. I could have handled things better, but to be honest, I had no strength left in me to coddle anyone else.

Caroline backed away from me slowly, her pink cotton nightgown bunching up around her thighs. She hit the wall and her hair frizzed out around her, almost looking as panicked as she did. She looked between me and Bonnie, who stood off to the side of the room, her hands firmly at her side, gripping her blue shorts tightly and pointed her manicured finger at me. "You did that with your hand," she stated firmly.

I blinked twice, giving her a minute to think and nodded. "Wanna see something else?" I asked, twirling my finger around and around like Matilda, with a smile.

Caroline placed her palms on the wall behind her and pushed herself forward, stepping closer to me. "You can do more?" she hesitantly asked.

I stayed seated, treating her like a skittish mare, I didn't want to startle her.