Chapter forty-six

*A/N: Im backkk! I'm sorry it's been a while; I hope the new chapters make up for it. We are almost done with book one. Yay! Let me know what ya think. *

The late afternoon sun was unforgiving, nearly blinding me as I stared out the windshield of the passenger van. As we transversed the concrete driveway leading up to Lockwood Manor, I flipped down the sun visor with a grimace. Elijah had been kind enough to send one of Niklaus' Hybrids to retrieve the rest of the wolves. It was beyond time to introduce them to their new alpha - at least I hoped they chose a new alpha, unlike Tyler and Mason. The van slowed to a stop and the idle chit-chat raining in the back stalled, nervous energy taking its place. I hopped out before anyone could work themselves into a fear-induced tizzy.

Slapping the side, I slid open the door with a bright grin. "All right, everybody out!" I said, shielding my eyes from the glaring sun. "It's time to meet Daddy."

"Kinky."

I turned around, a glare replacing the smile that had painted my features. I placed my hands on my hips and narrowed my eyes at the youngest living Mikaelson. "Zip it Kol - I'm here on business. Don't irritate me in front of the impressionable youth."

Kol looked at the wolves - some of them not yet eighteen, and smirked. "Come on, Ellie, they gotta learn somewhere. You know as well as I do that Niklaus will teach them far worse."

I scoffed, ushering the wolves toward the garden in the back of the manor, where I knew that Niklaus was housing the wolves - in the servant's quarters. "Not my wolves, he won't. He will be a proper alpha...or else," I said unconvincingly.

It wasn't like I could house and feed a group of wolves all on my own. Without Elijah, I wouldn't have gotten this far, but I would be damned if they were treated poorly. Kol snickered as I led the small group forward. Mrs. Lockwood's garden was still the definition of beauty and I took a moment to bask in it. The wolves followed me through the arbor, covered in colorful flowering vines toward an array of wildflowers. Standing together amongst the flowers, and drinking from whiskey glasses filled with blood, were two of Niklaus' new Hybrids.

"Damn dogs are everywhere now," Kol muttered, an exasperated pout puckering his lips.

I snorted under my breath, rolling my eyes at his put-out expression. I ushered the group past them, ignoring their intensely interested stares. We crossed the cobblestone path toward the oak trees near the back of the property — passing by a large white fountain with vibrant koi fish that flickered through the water like the wings of a fairy. I led the way toward Carol's prized rose bushes, they lined the stone walls separating the property from the woods. A large group was gathered near the treeline, and standing near the stone wall, holding court like a king was Niklaus. I pushed ahead, excitement and trepidation building in my chest. Today I would get to the bottom of why he was acting so strangely.

The building smile on my face fell as the crowd clamoring for his attention divided. In the facsimile of a dark comedy, the clouds parted and the sun began to shine anew, shimmering down on the dark chestnut hair of a young woman...a gorgeous young woman. I stumbled to a stop, staring ahead at the earth-shifting sight. The olive-skinned woman had soft hazel eyes, her plump lips parted into a wide smile as a sparkling laugh graced the air. The way she looked up at Niklaus infused me with a feeling of deep sorrow that I couldn't begin to understand. She reached up and took hold of his arm as she basked in his humor. With a cute grin, she touched the dimple of his cheeks. I felt sick with defeat as my heart cried out in denial. She caressed his arm as they continued their conversation. He looked down at her with an expression on his face that I hadn't seen for a long time. The pit in my stomach grew — that used to be mine. Before my next breath, the young woman released another bell-like laugh and pulled Niklaus down, placing a gentle kiss on his cheek. I bent forward in agony, my heart shuddering in my chest - it was more than I could stand.