Chapter Thirty

**A/N: Hello all; this chapter is kinda small. Really it's just a filler to get us to where we need to be so that Nik can come into play. One more large chapter before he shows up guys, I promise. Even though this chapter is not super exciting, I still hope you like it, and let me know what ya think. Your reviews keep me posting, and I love each and every one. Really, you're all amazing. Enjoy! This chapter has been edited by my beta Casey.**

I anxiously tapped my foot against the Lockwood's glossy hardwood floor as I waited for Tyler and Mason to join me. The rain was pouring down outside, and I watched it pelt the windows, running down in mismatched shapes. I felt small and very much alone in the overly large, ornately decorated room, my hands awkwardly laying in my lap. My worn sweater and jeans had seen better days, and my hair was thrown up in an untidy bun atop my head, strands of curls scattered around my neck and face. I was entirely out of place in such a wealthy environment. There were a few family members in my past who would faint in embarrassment. The very idea left me smiling.

I leaned back in my seat, my leather jacket falling open to reveal more of my tattered orange sweater. I glanced at the doorway in annoyed impatience. I tapped the varnished wood of the chair I was spread out in, scraping my nail against the armrest, damaging the priceless antique. That'll teach them to keep me waiting.

The white double doors opened, drawing my gaze, and Mason and Tyler burst in, their heads lowered, bodies bowed in stress. It wasn't hard to tell that Tyler had drilled Mason as he had promised the night before. He had not been happy about the idea of bringing his uncle into the fold after what he had done to me, Elena, and Caroline. It had taken a lot to convince him that Mason was capable of being saved. Tyler loved his uncle, but he hadn't been around for quite a few years, and during those years, Tyler had been forced to deal with an abusive father. The only people around when he needed someone were his friends. So naturally, that is where his loyalties now lie.

Tyler came to stand beside me, smirking down at the scratched wood below my fingertips, and glared at Mason as he took a seat on the grey settee in front of us. I patted my legs nervously, glancing at the two Lockwoods. For a moment, it felt as if I was back at the boarding house standing between the two Salvatore brothers; the similarities were not lost on me. Clearing my throat, I smiled up at the stock still newbie werewolf standing next to me; his stiff posture and rigid jaw were proof of how stressed he really was. Tyler informed me that his curse had been triggered while Elena and I had been with Rose and Trevor. Luckily, he had been alone in his room. However, it still must have been a terrifying experience to suffer through alone. He hadn't been able to discuss it with anyone and had no clue where I was or if I would return. Needless to say, he was a bit overprotective now.

"You okay, Ty?" I said, tilting my head questioningly.

Mason scoffed, throwing his head back and glaring at the wall. Tyler narrowed his eyes on his uncle, his lips thinning, and placed a hand on my shoulder - gently squeezing. "Yeah, Ellie, I'm fine," he said, his voice hard.

I released an annoyed breath and zeroed in on Mason, who was still glaring at the wall, his tan skin doing nothing to hide the angry flush of his cheeks. "So, Mason, it sounds like you and Tyler still have some unfinished business, and I can understand that. I have plenty of my own family drama."

Tyler snorted, a small smile finally tugging at his lips, and I pouted, smacking him as hard as I could in the stomach. Tyler rolled forward, placing a hand on his midsection as he moaned in over-exaggerated anguish, a pained huff of air rushing past his lips. Mason raised a brow, watching with surprised interest as his nephew laughed through the pain. I could see that he had expected a sudden outburst of anger, but Tyler was already handling his mood swings better than even I expected. My theory was since he had chosen this life, it was easier for him to manage. It probably also helped that he was no longer suppressing his wolf, which meant it had little to no reason to fight against him.