Chapter Twenty-Three

***A/N: Hello readers, so I have lots of news to share. I don't know if any of you have noticed, but I have been updating the earlier chapters of this story. So far I have 1-6 done. I have recently required a Beta, and she is slowly but surely working her way through this story and fixing it up. She is really amazing and I hope you guys go through and do a quick reread. Believe me, it is worth it. I haven't had her go through this chapter as she is still busy working on the others. Once she is done updating what I have already done, then I will have her fixing the newer chapters before I upload. I just thought you guys would want to read now instead of waiting even longer, but if you want me to wait on Casey to go over the new chapters with her golden fine-tooth comb, let me know for next time. That being said, send Casey all your love guys, she deserves it. Again, 1-6 is polished and beautiful, check them out. This new chapter is the longest I have ever written and I hope you guys enjoy it. Review, Review, Review! The next will have one of my favorite Originals in it! That's right ya'all, Elijah is in the next chapter! Plus, Vamp Care, Mason Lockwood, and the masquerade will all be occurring in yet another large chapter the next go around. So until next time, guys.***

Standing in front of my bedroom mirror I felt a familiar tug around my ribcage as Jenna tightened my corset. Wincing, I let out a small gasp, trying to ignore the burn in my chest caused by the lack of room to breathe. It had been centuries since I had been forced to dress this way, and I couldn't say I missed it.

If it wasn't for Caroline, I wouldn't be forcing my body to slip into this little contraption created by Satan himself, but she was insistent that I join in the festivities. Even if Mystic Falls seemed to have one too many celebrations, she wanted to be a part of every single one, and if she was, then I, as her best friend, had to be.

I so wanted to see where in the best friend handbook it stated that I had to be glued to her side at every damn function, but Caroline seemed to think it was a part of my job.

To pass the time, I watched Jenna's reflection, her forehead was wet with perspiration — cheeks pink as she tugged at the white laces on my gown, brows furrowed in concentration. I ran my tongue over my bottom lip to stop the smile that tried to escape, I didn't want to make her self conscious. With one final yank(and gasp from me) she was tying me up, finished with the complicated task.

"God that is exhausting. At least I'll know what to do when I have to seal Elena into her dress," she said, bending down and wiping her hands on her jeans.

I laughed lightly, wincing at the pain that shot through my chest. I almost forgot that along with losing the ability to breathe, I also would no longer be able to eat, move, bend, or laugh. What a way to live, but at least I'd look glamorous. I slowly lowered myself onto my vanity stool, allowing Jenna to toss my gown over my head. She was careful not to mess up my elegantly braided hair, for which I was insanely grateful. It had taken me forever to perfect. Once I had the dress draped over my thighs, Jenna reached out; helping me stand. We walked back over to the mirror, and she helped me button up the front of my gown, smiling at my reflection.

"Oh, you look so beautiful, Elara. This gown is perfect. You look like you just walked off the set of a period film!" Jenna squealed.

I chuckled, shaking my head as I eyed the dress. I ran my hands down the fabric with a nod. "Your right, it is perfect," I agreed.

The dress I had found online had been made by a company specializing in realistic period fashion. As much as I hated dressing up and joining in on all of these silly functions — if I was going to do it — I was going to do it right. I lived through this period once and wasn't going to walk around wearing something unrealistic and costume-like. As Jenna bent down to straightened the bottom of my dress, I took a moment to appreciate the design. I had chosen a sky blue, victorian bodice dress with lace trim around the sleeves. The fabric layering the top of the dress had a beautiful floral print in pink with golden hues, giving the whole design a burst of color. It was different, and not something I would have worn in that time period because the cotton would have cost too much to dye. It felt good to splurge a bit now; when I could afford it. I couldn't help but imagine how proud my mother (in that time ) would have been to see me in such a colorful gown. It's silly how material ideas like that still stick with you; even centuries later. Standing, Jenna took the cotton and lace choker that had been created to match the gown and stepped behind me.