Chapter Thirty-three

*A/N: Hello all! Im sorry for the long wait, but with Covid, a lot has been going on. I look forward to your reviews; please let me know what you think and how you thought the long-awaited reunion went. This chapter has been edited by my beta Casey.*

"What's going on?"

Tyler took hold of my elbow and led me to the porch swing. He incessantly pressed on my shoulder blade, and I sat down, clicking my tongue in irritation. Mason was leaning up against the railing, hands tucked away in the pockets of his worn blue jeans, trying to appear casual. Even if his rigid jaw and tight shoulders weren't enough to dispel the act, his constant wide wandering eyes would have done the trick. The hair on the back of my neck bristled, my body shivering as a cold chill slipped down my spine. I wrapped my arms around myself and focused on the Lockwood's.

Tyler sat down next to me, throwing his arm over the back of the swing. His frantic eyes locked with mine, and I could practically taste his fear on the air.

"We have a serious problem," he said.

I tilted my head, trying to ignore my sinking stomach, and gently placed my hand on his stiff arm — squeezing it reassuringly. "I kinda got that. Are you gonna tell me what it is? Or are we gonna play twenty questions? Cause I gotta tell ya, that's one of my least favorite games," I tutted, my brow twitching.

Tyler yanked his arm from the swing, jolting us backward, his lip curling. "This is no time for your jokes. We haven't even slept yet, Ellie. I'm a little on edge. Don't push me," he snarled.

A strange fire ignited within me at his blatant disrespect. I felt an urgent need to put him in his place. The only time I had ever felt anything similar was when I'd been challenged by a witch of lesser station. Twisting my head, index finger lifted, I leaned closer — brushing the hair behind my ear. "Excuse me? I don't think I heard you right. I understand you're tired, but you will watch the way you speak to me, Tyler." I sternly said.

It was automatic the way he remembered himself. His body curved into a submissive bow as he lowered his head, a muffled whimper spilling from his lips. I cocked my brow, wiggling my finger expectantly. "I think you owe me an apology."

Tyler closed his eyes and released a quiet sigh. "I'm sorry, El. You're right; I was an ass. I'm just exhausted. Coming home to find my house has been taken over was a bit of a surprise," he said through gritted teeth.

I frowned, and my body automatically leaned away, the swing creaking beneath me. I felt my heart skip a beat, my skin tingling uneasily. My body was throwing off warning singles, but I pushed it down, annoyed. I reminded myself that my emotions were off right now. That had to be what it was. Right?

I was sure whatever had happened at the Lockwoods wouldn't end up being as bad as they thought. I could handle it. Mason pushed himself off the porch and bent forward, taking hold of the rusted chain. He pulled the swing toward him, leaning down, his face inches from mine. I could smell his tainted morning breath and tried to keep the grimace from my face. I looked up at him and noticed — with the sun enhancing his features — exactly how pale he really was. His skin appeared sickly and paper-thin. The nearly purplish bags under his eyes accentuated the exhaustion he carried, and I felt terrible for not noticing the toll the night before had taken on the both of them. It was just like me to get caught up in little things that had nothing to do with what really mattered. I was still carrying stress from the reminder of William, and it had blinded me to all else. I had acted carelessly, and there was no excuse for it.