Chapter Eighteen

****** A/N: Let me know what you think. *******

The rumbling of the car engine and the slow breathing of Elena was the only sound in the small confines of the car I was now trapt in. I had never been one to handle silence well, not when so much was being left unsaid. I tended to blabber insistently until what needed said was finally out in the open, and there was no way to take it back, so instead of starting that battle, I forced myself to keep my eyes on the passing countryside, every field the mirror image of the one before. Elena laid in the back; still unconscious, her hair falling over the side of the seat. When Damon finally spoke I almost cried with relief, even if what he said had only to do with my sister.

"So you're saying she woke up long enough to say four words, and then passed out again?" I asked.

Damon turned his head and looked at me. "I. Look. Like. Her," he enunciated, lifting one finger for each word.

I placed my head in my hands with a sigh. "Well, that explains why she was out there. She must have found Stefan's picture of Katherine and completely freaked," I said.

I massaged my forehead and winced as I adjusted my legs.

Damon looked down and pulled one of my knees towards him with an angry frown. "When did you do this?" he asked, using one hand to pull my jeans over my knee, revealing the small cuts.

I bit my lip and took in a sharp breath. There were several small slashes across my knee where the glass had dug into my skin. "When I pulled Elena from the car. It's not that bad," I said, pulling up my other pant leg and looking at the similar injury.

He pulled away and gripped the steering wheel tightly. "Yeah, well I need you in tip top shape. Your gonna be the one who wrestles with Elena. Bringing her was your idea," he said rolling his eyes.

I smiled brightly as he bit into his wrist and offered it to me. I scrunched up my nose and sighed, leaning in and drinking down a few gulps. I moved away with a grimace and groaned. "Why is it that I have been seeming to drink so much blood here lately, and yet I still don't even get any of the extra benefits," I whined wiping my face with my hands.

Damon smirked, his expression darkening. "Which of the extra benefits do you want the most, El? The insatiable thirst or the eternal life filled with death and betrayal?" he asked.

I rubbed my newly healed knees and rolled my eyes. "Oh please, yes you have to deal with the bad side effects, but it's not all doom and gloom. I'd gladly take it," I sighed.

Damon shook his head angrily and I avoided looking at him by unbuckling my seatbelt and turning around to face Elena. "So, what should I say to her?" I set my chin on the seat and bit my lip in thought. "Hey Elena, sorry you look identical to your boyfriend's ex, but I must say, that isn't exactly the worst part. She was also a raging bitch who slept with his brother and sired them both. Wanna know more?" I said my voice chipper. I slammed my head against the seat with an annoyed groan. "This is going to go super well," I mumbled.

Damon chuckled beside me and I reached out to slap him but was stopped when he pulled me back into my seat, slipping my belt over my shoulder. I narrowed my eyes at him and he smiled with a wink. "Safety first," he said.

I heard the click of my belt and crossed my arms. "So what do you recommend? It's not just Stefan's story to tell, Damon. Should we just allow him to tell it or would you like to? Because I would love to avoid this conversation," I said, raising a hand with a flourish.