Chapter Forty-four

*A/N: Hello everybody! Welcome to Chapter 44. A lot happens in this chapter. I am preparing to break Elara's curse! I hope you enjoy the new characters. As always, let me know what you think.*

"Is there a reason we're rushing!" Elena huffed, taking the stairs two at a time. I glanced up, a giggle building in my throat as I watched her hop on one leg. She had a tennis shoe partially in place, laces hanging haphazardly around her ankles. With a tired exhale, she dropped her leg, blowing strands of hair out of her eyes. She lifted the other shoe above her head, staring down at me with a puzzled look.

I pulled my bag from the hook by the door and shrugged, feigning an air of nonchalance. "Absolutely not. I just thought you wanted a short break. You've dealt with nothing but death, blood donations, and drama these past few days. There is a group tour at Whitmore today; it's an hour's drive, at least. Best to get an early start," I said, practically squeaking as I forced the lie past my lips.

I pulled open the door, avoiding her searching gaze. Fear has been my constant companion since my abrupt awakening last night. Magic had coursed through my veins in a searing warning, a wild alert of the resurgence of the one woman I had never wished to see again. I could hear the frightened dying screams of each version of myself as she took her first breath of life, her magical aura ripping through my consciousness like a vicious virus. There had been no use in trying to go back to sleep after that, so all I could do was lie awake and fight to understand why Niklaus had decided to bring his mother back from the other side.

Rebekah had been no help, choosing to stay absent. Or as my anxiety pointed out, possibly having no choice. There had been a point when I considered calling Elijah but fear had stilled my hand. What if he was aware of Niklaus' plan? With Esther alive again I had to be careful who I trusted. She was powerful and would stop at nothing to keep me away from her children. I had a pack and a human family to protect; things are different now. With that in mind, when the clock on my bedside table had blinked a more reasonable hour, I contacted Tyler and Mason. I needed someone to help me protect Jenna, Jeremy, and Caroline. To say that most of the wolves were unhappy to be protecting a vampire was an understatement, but luckily with Mason's help, I was able to bring them under heel.

I hated asking anything of them. Being an Alpha was never on my 'to-do' list, but right now I needed help and the pack was my best bet. After I brought Mason up to date, I called Caroline and asked her to inform the Salvatores that there was a new witch in town. Bringing them up to speed wasn't something I had to do but I knew Esther would try to use them against me, so I made the uneasy decision to head her off. Caroline was terrified on my behalf, easily catching onto my fear. I reminded her to stay close to Stefan and Damon, and eased her worries with soft platitudes; I had everything under control.

Once the people I loved were in the know, that just left Elena; the Petrova Doppelganger. She was easily the one person who would suffer the most under the thumb of Esther Mikaelson. Not only did she mean something to me, but Niklaus as well. Esther would most certainly search her out. There was no way in hell Elena would stay behind once Esther promised her my safety. I did not doubt that she would stoop to exactly that.

"I want to go but it's five in the morning, Elara Marie! That's entirely too early to wake someone up without at least a pot of coffee."

I led Elena out the door, smiling amusedly at her pout pursed lips. "I promise we will stop at Starbucks on the way, Lena."

Elena clapped her hands together in happiness, her tired eyes lighting up in excitement. "Yay! I am getting a Mocha." I nodded along, amused at her newfound energy. She hopped into my car, listing off the extras she intended to add to her coffee. I jumped when she suddenly released a squeal. "Oh! Can we also get a cake pop? Do you think they will have any made this early?"