Chapter Twenty-One

***Sorry, this update took so long, but for some reason, this chapter really fought with me. It just didn't want to be written. So, that being said, it definitely isn't my best work and is a lot smaller then what ya' all are used to. But Im sure the next will flow easier and be a lot longer. We are getting closer and closer to Elijah's first appearance. Just a bit of Kit Kat drama and its Original time! I am so pumped to start on the Mikaelson drama. I do hope despite the crappiness of this chapter you guys will still review and let me know what you think. Enjoy the chapter!***

I stood in front of the small brick house that was currently owned by the strongest witch of nature that Mystic Falls had to offer. I knew that getting her to help - especially once I mentioned that I was working with Damon - would be a feat all its own, but I had to try. The annoying conditions put in place by Emily stated that the spell on the tomb had to be lifted by a Bennett witch; or else I would have already opened the damn thing myself. I hated asking for help from anyone - let alone their kind. There was always red tape and conditions involved whenever making a deal with a witch of nature. They never did anything for free. At least going into this I already had a plan. I had promised Em that I would take over for Damon as the protector of the Bennett line - and I had meant it. Despite my general dislike for witches of nature, I would always have a soft spot for the Bennetts. Emily and Bonnie were not the only women of their line that I had met and connected with. With the knowledge that I would be using my curse to help protect her progeny, I hoped that Sheila would be more amicable, because if I didn't have her help than it would have to be Bonnie - and sadly - I knew where her loyalties would lie. She was and always would be - firmly on Team Elena. I couldn't fault her really, Lena was her best friend just as Care was mine. Edging my way up her porch steps I took a deep breath, stilling my resolve before I landed a heavy knock on her front door. I straightened my hair and shirt, reverting to my usual nervous habits as I waited for someone to answer. I could hear shuffling on the other end of the door and prayed to whatever God was in a giving mood, that I had come on a good day - one where she was feeling particularly willing to hear a fellow sister of magic out before slamming the door in her face. The doorknob jiggled and I took a deep breath- tilting my head and trying for a half smile, hoping I didn't come off as creepy. The door opened slightly - held back by the chain lock, and the narrowed brown eyes of Sheila Bennett greeted me. Her caramel wrinkled skin barely visible behind the confines of the door as she looked me over swiftly.

"Elara Gilbert?" she simply stated, her brow raised in question.

Before I could utter a single syllable, a swift breeze swatted me in the face as the door snapped shut. My jaw dropped open in surprise. I hadn't been able to greet her let alone make my case. Righteous indignation filled me at her utter dismissal and I raised my hand to knock again. This time with much less decorum. As my knuckles touched the cold front door I held back - moving my hand away when I heard the rattle of the chain lock being undone; the other locks clicking open shortly after. I blinked rapidly in surprise and waited, lowering my head I traced the cursive writing of her welcome rug to calm myself. After a few minutes and some shuffling around on the other side, it finally swung open and Sheila stepped out onto the front porch slowly, eyes scanning her surroundings. She wrapped her frayed grey shawl around herself, brushing her curls from her face.

"I came alone. Figured it wouldn't be polite to bring guests that wouldn't be as welcome as I hoped I might be," I said, rubbing my arm nervously.

Sheila nodded, her tight brown curls barely moving as she did. "To be honest, I had expected a visit from you much sooner, Elara." She raised her hand and motioned for me to step inside. I smiled in thanks and followed her into the cozy little house. "Is that the name you wish to go by?" she asked as she led me into her bright kitchen.