⚡️ 3•8 ⚡️

╭━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━━✶━━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━╮Don't look out the windowsThe monsters like to jump out of the darkBuckle up 'cause this is just the start╰━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━━✶━━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━╯

╭━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━━✶━━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━╮
Don't look out the windows
The monsters like to jump out of the dark
Buckle up 'cause this is just the start
╰━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━━✶━━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━╯

Frost permeated between the members of the Quartet, forming an icy barrier between the boys and girls. A freeze that had little to do with the snowy weather outside the castle walls. Christmas evening had delivered a ferocious argument between Harry, Ron and Hermione. After discovering that the Firebolt had been gifted to Harry by an anonymous person, the bushy-haired girl had rushed to voice her concerns to Professor McGonagall. In agreement with the fact that it could be hexed, the Head of Gryffindor house had confiscated the beloved broom to strip it down. Ron's fury had immediately targeted Hermione. He had let his mouth run away from him, and Hermione had spent the remainder of the holidays avoiding both he and Harry by hiding out in the library.

Refusing to let her friend be treated in such a way (and silently agreeing with her), Cassie glued herself to Hermione's side. Side by side, they either spent their days walking around the chilly grounds or reading peacefully in the fire-warmed library. Cassie hadn't spoken to either of the boys since the argument. She almost missed them. Well, she thought she did. She knew for a fact that when she started speaking to her brother again, he would only go back to irritating her and she would yearn for the peaceful moments she had received.

Sunday evening brought the return of the rest of the students. Whilst she loved her best friend deeply, the redhead was grateful to hear the halls filled with the incessant chatter of other people. There were more people to talk to and other faces to look at. The moment they had walked through the portrait hole, Cassie had practically thrown herself at Dean and Seamus, begging them for details of their holidays.

"Dad wasn't amused when me Mam put up all the decorations using magic. Said she ruined the spirit of Christmas." Seamus explained. "Soon changed his mind when the enchanted Mistletoe meant she had to kiss him despite her being in a mood."

"I had to explain to my parents yet again why I couldn't use magic to help them put up the Christmas lights," said Dean. "How was your Christmas, Red?"

Cassie scowled at the nickname. "I fought a cat. I wanted him to wear a Christmas jumper but he tried eating it so I had to wrestle him so he would wear the tinsel."

Seamus and Dean exchanged bemused looks before the former laughed at his friend and slung an arm around the back of the sofa. The warmth of him burned into her back and she turned to look at him. The pair smiled at each other before Dean's voice broke the connection.

"I don't know how but I'd quite forgotten how mad you are, Cass."

"Cheers, Dean. I'll take that as a compliment."

━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━━✶━━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━

Classes resumed the next day and the Professors had decided they all needed lots of work to make up for the break they had taken. Overloaded with essays, Cassie hadn't been given time to worry about the animosity still burning between her friends. She had spent breakfast with Hermione before enjoying a humorous lunch with Seamus, Dean and Neville. She'd taken a cheese and ham toastie to-go for her dinner and nibbled at it on her way to the library.