⚡️ 2•7 ⚡️

"Count me out, I'm done

"Count me out, I'm done." Cassie stated, handing the slip of paper in Hermione's hand to the boys.

Ripped from a book, the page contained vital information about a creature called the basilisk. Known as the King of Serpents, the basilisk had venomous fangs and a deadly stare. Any person to gaze into eye of a basilisk would suffer instant death. Apparently it could reach gigantic sizes and live for hundreds of years. All this time, a gigantic basilisk had been living underneath Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry.

"I know you think the safety of the school depends on us but I never signed up for this. We're kids. Let the teachers handle this," pleaded Cassie.

Both boys shifted uncomfortably as they took in her teary eyes. Fear was written clearly across her face but despite it breaking her Gryffindor persona, she made no effort to hide it.

"The teachers can't handle this. They don't know what we know." Harry argued.

"So tell them! Tell them what you know and then leave this alone. It's not our duty."

Looking away from her, both boys made it obvious that they didn't share the same opinion. Both of them would continue irresponsibly endangering their lives. Nodding in defeat, she stood from the chair and turned to walk away. A hand grabbed her wrist and she glanced down at Harry.

"You can't give up, Cassie. With Hermione gone, you're the only one smart enough to figure this out. We don't stand a chance without you. We need you. Hermione needs you."

Yanking her hand out of his grip, she was hurt at him using their petrified friend against her. Lip wobbling, she attempted to keep her anger in check.

"I'm done," she spat before storming out of the Hospital Wing without a backwards glance.

━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━━✶━━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━

Cassie's fury at her friend and brother barely lasted a few hours. Upon hearing the news that her little sister had been taken into the Chamber, she had collapsed into Harry's arms and he had barely managed to catch her before she slumped into a heap on the stone floor. After he and Ron had managed to carry her all the way to the Tower, they had put her on the sofa before placing a blanket over her. Since then, Fred and George had snuggled her between the both of them as they processed what was happening. No one spoke. Movement was limited as the future of Hogwarts and Ginny Weasley looked bleak.

As the sun began setting, hopelessness settled in. No news had reached them about their sister and the Chamber had yet to be found. The likelihood of Ginny Weasley being alive passed with every minute. Suggesting that perhaps Lockhart could help them, Ron grasped at straws for a way that they could save his sister. Jumping up from her seat, Cassie agreed with the last attempt and dragged the two boys from the room, making them jog a little to catch up with her hurried footsteps.