Chapter 4: Are you hungry?

The Xia family lived in a villa in a residential area. The parents had gone abroad for business and only the eldest son Xia Yuan and the adopted daughter Xia Xi stayed in the house with Xia Yao. The big house was usually empty and it felt like a waste of resources.
Xia Yuan hadn't come back yet; his piano competition approached and he should have been practicing.

Xia Yao expertly opened the food delivery app on her phone and placed an order. She felt like complaining; her biological family was obviously very wealthy, yet they didn't have a housekeeper and she was forced to eat takeaway every day.
She went upstairs to her room and pulled out the math books from her bag and immersed herself in dense formulas right away. In the novel, the vicious Xia Yao had been jealous of the heroine Xia Xi and had secretly studied every day. She would wake up early and go to bed late but even with studying every single hour of her free time, her IQ had been just too bad for her to understand anything and she had been at the bottom of her grade.
But no more. The notes she had once made seemed engraved in her mind and she felt she would be able to remember them as long as she went through them slowly. Faced with all this knowledge she could now get, Xia Yao was ecstatic and starving to learn everything.

In the living room, Xia Xi was smiling gracefully. She picked up the glass on the corner of the table and poured some orange juice before shaking the warm orange liquid inside. She held her phone in her other hand and was looking at a picture of Ji Huai.
The profile of the young man seemed to be covered by a layer of gold in the sunset light, and he looked very dazzling. Although he hadn't left his contact information earlier, Xia Xi believed that their meeting had been fate. She took a sip of the juice and savored carefully the sweet yet acidic flavor.
"Ding Dong."
The doorbell rang and the girl stood up reflexively, before walking toward the door. She had been waiting for her brother to come home and her phone screen had been switched to a photo of Xia Yao beating this afternoon's victim.
She reached the door in a few steps, hurrying to not let her brother wait outside. But why was he ringing the doorbell? Obviously, this was his home... Perhaps he had forgotten his key!
Thinking of this, the door creaked open and she looked through the small gap.
Xia Xi was ready to report to her brother but was stunned when she met the boy's clear eyes.
That wasn't Xia Yuan, it was the boy from earlier!
Xia Xi's heart started beating like thunder and a blush appeared on her face. She couldn't let him see him like that! She needed to calm down first, she didn't want him to realize she liked him too fast. But with all the thoughts that crossed her mind, she closed the door quickly.

Standing outside, Ji Huai had a dazed expression. Before he could see who had opened the door, it had been immediately closed.

Xia Xi covered her chest, trying to control her heart that was about to jump out of her rib cage. She patted her red cheeks, hoping her blush would disappear, and heard a slow knock accompanied by the voice of the teenager: "Is this the Xia family?"
His voice was like a clear spring, echoing in her head, and Xia Xi's face turned even redder instead. She couldn't help but wonder if he had followed her all the way back to her house because he hadn't given her his number.

The phone rang at 19:00 and the system once again urged Xia Yao to go to the plot. The girl sighed and reluctantly looked at the math test paper that was still missing an answer, thinking about the process to solve it as she walked downstairs unhurriedly.
The scene that awaited her at the door was of Xia Xi standing at the entrance, her face as red as a monkey's butt, and a round of knocks coming from the outside. Xia Yao knew who was standing there and she instinctively rubbed her temples to fight against the upcoming headache.

According to the plot of the novel, after the heroine and Ji Huai had stood like idiots on both sides of the door for a long time, Xia Yao had come downstairs as Xia Xi was finally about to open it. Xia Yao had seen Ji Huai from the cat's eyes and had recognized the boy who had helped her sister earlier at a glance, before she had refused to open the door and had started arguing with Xia Xi. Unfortunately, their brother had happened to come back at the same time and had scolded Xia Yao in front of everyone, ordering her to apologize to both the fake daughter and Ji Huai.
But now Ji Huai hadn't helped Xia Xi as he should have according to the plot and although Xia Yao wondered why—
She still didn't want to open the door to him.

"Who is it?" Xia Yao glanced at Xia Xi casually, "Dear sister, why is your face so red? Are you having allergies? Should you go to the hospital?"
She didn't care at all and asked with obvious sarcasm.
Xia Xi looked at her and was about to refute when music echoed loudly in the empty villa.
"Jiangnan Tannery closed down, Jiangnan Tannery closed down, the boss ate, drank, gambled and ran away with his sister-in-law~"
Xia Yao's face turned black. Ah, the vicious female character's tastes were so vulgar! She needed to change her ringtone as soon as possible to class bells to motivate herself to learn. She glanced at the caller ID and hung up; her takeaway had arrived.

She originally wanted to mess with Xia Xi but now that her food was here, she forgot about her plan. There was only one thing more important than eating, which was studying.
"My food's there." Xia Yao put the phone back in her pocket, "The one who knocked on the door must be the delivery person. Sister, please move and stop blocking me from eating dinner."
She pushed Xia Xi with one hand and pulled open the door with a bang with the other. The door made a kind of metal scraping sound and as it was opened all of sudden, both Xia Yuan and Ji Huai who was standing on the other side were surprised. The girl's strength was unbelievably powerful and she almost pushed both of them to the ground.
Then they heard her voice: "Is it Hungry Delivery? I ordered takeout."

Little theater:
Xia Yao: Ha ha, I just want to hit you on purpose.