Chapter 12: Good person card

There was torrential rain on Friday night but by Saturday, the sky had cleared completely. Small puddles were left on the uneven ground, sole proof of last night's rainstorm.
The heroine Xia Xi was very afraid of thunder and Xia Yuan had stayed with her in the living room most of the night. When Xia Yao went out early in the morning, the two of them hadn't gotten up yet but Ji Huai was already at the dining table. Xia Yao had almost forgotten there was another person at home.

During his stay, she and Ji Huai had gotten along really well and had gone to eat fried chicken together. Xia Yao now believed that even when he would fall madly in love with the heroine in the future, he would not forget their friendship.
"Are you going to the nursing home?" The teenager asked before taking a sip of milk.
Xia Yao swallowed two bites of bread and vaguely answered: "Hm."
Since Ji Huai had learned about her past experience, not only he found her very cool but also very strong and he wanted to get to know her more. Unfortunately, Xia Yao only had learning in her heart.

"If you encounter anything you don't understand in your studies, you can ask me." He poked the egg yolk on his plate and added, "Let's go to the library tomorrow. It's not enough to read textbooks all day long, you have to read something else."
Xia Yao drank her milk and felt that what he was saying made sense. She knew from the novel that Ji Huai's grades were the best in school and honor students usually had their own learning methods. In addition, he had already offered her his help many times with her homework... Xia Yao nodded and her mouth curved in a curious smile: "Sure, let's go to the library tomorrow."
Ji Huai looked up from his food at this moment and met the girl's bright eyes and beautiful smile. A drop of milk was left at the corner of her mouth and he pulled out a tissue before handing it to her.

***

The nursing home was far away, deep in the suburbs, and Xia Yao decided to take a taxi. Because she had awakened her self-awareness and her intelligence had been restored, her life had been pretty good recently and her studies had made great progress. The joy in her heart was written on her face and her grandmother asked her about all the good things that had happened recently.
Xia Yao couldn't say the truth but answered: "The mid-term exam is around the corner and I have improved a lot. I should have a good ranking this time."
The grandmother didn't know about Xia Yao's academic performance but in her eyes, she believed it should be very good.

The whole day passed in a flash. The grandmother wanted to keep her for dinner but it wasn't safe for a girl to go back alone at night and she could only watch her leave.
"Grandma, I will go back first but I will come to see you next weekend." Xia Yao was carrying a bag of fruits grown by the old lady. The nursing home was surrounded by beautiful mountains, clear water, fresh air, and orchards on the hills. During this season, the fruits were very fragrant.
"Xiao Yao, bring some money back." The grandmother stuffed a stack of crumpled banknotes into Xia Yao's hands. "This was given by the fruit farmers. Eat more, look at you again, you're so thin! How can you carry things?"
Xia Yao looked down at the banknotes and immediately gave them back.
"Grandma, I don't need any money. You don't need to go help at the orchard in the future. You should rest."
The old lady sighed: "Oh, grandma knows the Xia family is rich. But even if you are their daughter, you were lost for so many years and I heard they have an adopted daughter. After so many years apart, the Xia family must have more affection for her. So you take the money first, it will always be useful."
The old lady was already seventy years old but still had a pair of clear and sharp eyes. Xia Yao knew she was going to leave the Xia family one day and she would really need money to support herself and her grandmother but....
"Grandma, save the money for me first, okay? I really don't need it right now." She stuffed back the bills directly into the pocket of the old lady's clothes and ran away with the bag of fruits.
"Xiao Yao!" The grandmother looked at the girl running so fast and watched her disappear from sight.