Chapter 8: Fried chicken and fries

Xia Xi frowned a little unhappily. This morning, a classmate had said he would come to feed the cats with her, but despite having waited for him for so long, he had never shown up. He had been quite handsome too, and she wondered why she had never seen him before.
Xia Yao was well aware of the novel's plot. The heroine was gentle and kind, and especially caring towards small animals. She would occasionally take food to go feed stays and would attract the attention of the violent Xu Shizhou this way.
She followed Xia Xi without a rush all the way and stopped to get herself some Coke and a bucket of fried chicken and fries.

Xia Xi was not a fool without five senses. When she turned the corner of the street, she noticed someone was following her: was it the boy from this morning?
She thought he had looked a little awkward at the convenience store; she had been waiting for him to help her but Xia Yao had grabbed the drink instead. Fortunately, when they had talked afterward about cats, she had found out that despite his irritable face, the boy had a soft heart.
He must indeed be very shy and he was following her all the way instead. Realizing this must be the case, Xia Xi's steps became much lighter.

When Xia Yao appeared, the little wild animals who were lazily lying on the stairs and on the trash cans woke up at once and moved toward her, attracted by the fragrant smell of fried chicken. Xia Yao hid in the dark and covered the food, afraid the cats would reach her and blew her cover.
Xia Xi saw them ignore her and walk to the other side and was a little confused. Could it be they had forgotten her because they hadn't seen her for a month? She opened the food and its smell floated out.

Between the chicken fragrance that had disappeared and the cat food that had been opened, the kittens stopped in their tracks and turned toward Xia Xi instead. The girl knew someone was secretly watching her and she squatted down, put the can on the ground, and said softly: "I'm sorry, I am a bit late today. Are you hungry? It's okay, eat slowly, eat slowly..."

Hiding in her corner, Xia Yao looked at her watch and waited for her time to play. She looked around but realized Ji Huai and Xu Shizhou hadn't arrived yet. It was really odd and without the heroine's licking dogs, there was no point for her to play her role.

Xia Xi was still talking with the cats: "Eat more slowly, no one will take it from you. Eat slowly..."
Xia Yao: Ah, of course no one will, who wants cat food?
Looking at her watch again, it was finally her turn to appear. She no longer covered the fried chicken with her hands and held her head high as she left her hiding spot.
Xia Xi sensed the person had finally come out and thinking it was the classmate from this morning, she was overjoyed. But when she looked up, she saw Xia Yao and her expression became stiff.
"Xia Yao, you followed me!"
"Yeah."
"???" She just admitted it like that?
"I'm not like someone else who won't confess to stalking others and hypocritically talk about caring and such."
Xia Yao looked down at the cats at her feet. Their eyes were a glowing green and they were obviously not full. Her face turned pale and she recalled what had happened yesterday afternoon.
Those stray cats were wandering around, sleeping and eating when they could, but most often living near the trash cans hoping to get some food. Most of them had coarse hair and looked very pitiful.
Xia Yao didn't find pleasure in acting cruelly against small animals. She glanced at the fried chicken in her hand and put it down reluctantly. Ah, stupid kindness!

"You heard I was going to feed the cat this morning and you followed me! You want to be like me and feed the cat, don't you?" Xia Xi asked.
That was such a dumb idea.
"I don't want to talk nonsense with you." Xia Yao frowned. She was still waiting for the two male leads to appear, so she could be dismissed.
Seeing her cold attitude and listening to her cold tone, an indescribable fire rose in Xia Xi's heart; Xia Yao must have heard that the boy from this morning would also come and that was why she had secretly followed her! She got up and deliberately knocked the fried chicken on the ground. She pretended to be very regretful and said: "Ah, everything spilled, what to do..."
Xia Yao looked at the other girl and felt annoyed; she just wanted to go home to do her homework!
She stepped on her sister's foot and said in the same panicked voice: "Ah, I accidentally stepped on you, what to do?"