Chapter 28: Time is money

Xia Yao rode her bicycle and rushed to the intersection of Sanzhong. She turned the screen of her phone on and realized it was only 6 pm.
She had half an hour left until her scene and she scanned the environment first, before finding a clean place to squat down. She took out the test papers from her bag and started answering another set of questions.

At that time, the girls from the Third High School were at the barbecue stall. The leader of the group had dyed red hair and she wore a short skirt, exposing her legs to the autumn wind. She grabbed a handful of skewers and waved her arms as she shouted: "Sisters, go collect the protection fees!"
Six or seven girls with cool hairstyles followed her and they walked out with mighty momentum. Within a few minutes, they reached the place students all passed through at the end of school. They had chosen this dim alley where there was not much traffic to settle down to collect the protection fees. And sure enough, a girl with glasses was already obediently standing at the corner.

***

After Xia Yao finished her math papers and put them away, her legs were a little numb. She quickly got up and jumped twice, stretched her muscles and bones, and looked up at the sky. It was already getting dark and she looked at her phone only to see it was 6:30 pm.
Hm? Where was the delinquent group of the Third High School?

As she was starting to doubt she was in the right place, she saw a group of people pushing and shoving at the end of the alley, under the dim sunset. Xia Yao pulled on her bag straps and exceptionally placed them on both her shoulders. She wanted to reason with people first but if it didn't work, she couldn't let her bag hold her back again. And as she thought about what to say, she felt her plan was perfect.

Just when she was about to get closer to the crowd, a girl with glasses staggered out of it. Xia Yao quickly helped her and noticed she looked rather thin and weak. No, was it the level of the delinquent girls of the Third High School? That was a little pathetic.
Xia Yao helped her stand up on her own and asked lightly: "Are you alright?"
The girl held her bag and looked up at Xia Yao timidly, before answering in a low voice: "No, I'm okay."
"Okay. Then go home and pay attention to safety!" Xia Yao patted her shoulder, intending to move closer to the crowd.
The girl was about to run away but seemed to suddenly think of something. She paused and pulled Xia Yao: "Classmate, you should go too. You can't offend those people, they are collecting protection fees!"

Xia Yao glanced at her and realized that neither her hair was dyed nor her school uniform was altered; she looked like a good student. It turned out she was not one of the delinquents but the group was currently collecting money.
Xia Yao not only didn't listen, but she also leisurely whistled and looked at the girl with a smile: "Let's go, I will go with you."
The girl was startled but before she could react, Xia Yao was leading her forward. She tried to resist and pulled at her sleeves: "Classmate, I'm not kidding, let's run away!"
Her voice was shaking.
"I will go with you." Xia Yao patted the girl on the shoulder, "I will help you."
The girl with glasses was in a daze but when she saw the delinquent group come over, she was frightened and forgot to escape.

"Oh, sisters, look at the big beauty!" The red-haired girl looked up and down at Xia Yao, "Not just a big beauty, but a rich one too!"
The rest of the group's eyes lit up and they stared at Xia Yao too.
Xia Yao smiled: "Thank you, I know I am beautiful."
Her voice was flat and indifferent, but the girl next to her was shocked.

"..."
The redhead did not expect that girl would accept the praise so shamelessly. Although she was indeed really pretty, shouldn't she be more humble?
"Stop talking nonsense! You're so courageous, how about taking out your phone and handing over your wallet?" The redhead raised her eyebrows and knocked on the wall beside her with the stick in her hand.
"Hurry up and pay!" The purple-haired girl behind her glanced at her.
"Pay the money and leave, isn't that easy~"
"What's wrong, you're into the pretty girl?"
"..."
Xia Yao listened to the Rainbow-colored delinquent group chat and started feeling a little impatient.
"Hey, why are you talking so much? Can't you just give 500 yuan?"
The redhead was stunned. 500 yuan?