new beginnings {h.p.}

YEAR THREE
———————
"Harry! Wait!" Your voice stilled the boy in question, along with his friends; they turned to face you, watching as you ran to reach them.

"(Y/N)? What're you doing here?" The three of them were a hallway away from the Gryffindor common room, and curfew was approaching; it would surely be up before you even reached the dungeons.

"I forgot to return the notes you let me borrow- for Care of Magical Creatures?" You reached into your bag, pulling said notes out before handing them to him with a smile. "Thanks, by the way. They helped me get an EE on the essay."

Harry smiled sheepishly. "It was nothin'. Besides, you looked like you needed the help."

You grinned, and he found himself grinning too. "Oh, I absolutely did." A little laugh and you cleared your throat. "Anyway, sorry to interrupt you and your friends." You sent a small smile to Ron and Hermione, who were confused but sent one back. "I've gotta go if I want to get back before curfew, so good night! And thanks again!" And just like that, you were off, and Harry ignored the weird looks his friends were giving him as he kept walking towards the common room, knowing his friends would bombard him the second they entered.

———————

"Blimey, Harry, you've gone and befriended a Slytherin." Dean Thomas made a face, and so did Seamus, who was sat beside him on the bed.

Harry simply smirked. "Upset because you couldn't do it, Dean? You did try so hard."

Ron snickered as Dean rolled his eyes. Even Seamus cracked a smile at Harry's words, no doubt remembering his friend's doomed endeavour.

"Honestly? I think I know why it didn't work out." Dean had a wicked smile on his face, and Harry knew it wasn't good.

"And what's that?" Ron asked, intrigued. Harry shot him a look, but he didn't notice it.

"Because they were already in cahoots with you! One lion's enough for a snake, don't you think, Harry?"

Seamus and Ron both started laughing, and to Harry's chagrin he could feel his cheeks getting hot, but in all honesty, that was probably closest to the truth—you had essentially said as much during class, when Professor Sprout tried for interhouse unity and made her students intermix.

"Glad I got paired with you, Harry. Bloody Dean's been driving me crazy with his attempts to woo me." You were smiling, though, and Harry knew it was all in good fun.

"Yeah, I know. He hasn't shut up about you for the past three days. I wish you'd just turn him down so he can be sad and I can get some sleep." You laughed at his words, and Harry found himself smiling.

"No can do, Potter. I don't want my good reputation to be sullied by you loudmouthed Gryffindors—besides, I'm already friends with you, and that's a cardinal sin, you know."

"Yes, how truly horrible of me." With a small laugh you went to the back of the classroom, getting all the tools you'd need for today's class.

"No way. Don't tell me you're now crushing on them? No wonder I didn't stand a chance!" Harry hissed at Dean's words.

"Absolutely not. We're just friends!" Harry even went so far as to make a face at the notion. Yeah, a crush was out of the question; you were a Slytherin and he was a Gryffindor—it would never work out, he thought bitterly, even as he wished so desperately it could.

YEAR FOUR
———————
"Harry," Hermione started, and she had that familiar twinkle in her eye as she looked at him, meaning that whatever she said next he wouldn't like. "I have a question."