Regular Customer {D.M.} (c)

"Hi, Narcissa!" I greeted as I entered the small shop. "How's business today?"

The older woman smiled. "Fairly well, thank you. How can I help you today?"

"Oh, I'm not here to buy. Just to say 'hi' and see how you're doing. And if you needed any help." I hugged the woman and went behind the counter, intending to put on an apron and help like I would any other day.

"I knew there was a reason I liked you," the woman winked, "but there's no reason for you to come in today; it's been pretty stagnant."

I frowned. "You sure?"

"Of course, dear. Go enjoy yourself." The woman tied her black-and-blonde hair into a ponytail, something she never would have done if her husband had been present.

Narcissa had come a long way from the war. When her husband was convicted, she and her son had managed to avoid incarceration, and now laid low in the Muggle world. She ran a semi-successful flower shop, and Draco was off touring the world, both muggle and wizard alike. I helped out when I could, considering myself a close friend of the Malfoys.

I hadn't been there during the war; my mother had sent me to America to live with my aunt, which meant I didn't hold the same discrimination or prejudice towards those on the wrong side. Of course I agreed with Harry Potter and his cause, but that didn't mean I couldn't sympathize with the victims, both sides included. Which is why, whenever someone so much as looked wrong in Narcissa's direction, I was quick to chew them out.

"Actually, dear? There is something you could do for me." Narcissa hurried over to where I was. "I need you to send a letter to Draco." She took a deep breath and lowered her voice before continuing. "His father's being released soon."

My eyes widened. "What? How? He was charged with multiple murders and war crimes!"

"I don't... know." Narcissa looked defeated, something I had never seen on the defiant woman, and frankly never wanted to again. I calmed a bit before I took her aging hand.

"Just tell me what to say, and I'll send the letter." I gave her hand a squeeze before moving to retrieve a quill and parchment.

"I, uh... I want you to write to him." Narcissa seemed nervous, a very uncommon look on the older woman. "He... responds better to you."

My eyes softened. "That's not true, he just... he just needs time, and it helps to speak to someone his own age, who didn't choose a side in the war. Someone unbiased that he can talk to like a normal person, not a victimized child." Narcissa gave me a look as I finished my small rant, a small smile on her face.

"Thank you," she whispered.

"For what?"

"For being here to help me. To help both of us." I scoffed and played it off.

"It's something anyone should do."

"But not just anyone did," Narcissa pointed out, "and I have to say, I'm glad it was you and not some random person who I would never see again." She gave my hand a pat as she started walking out to give me space to write the letter. "I'll leave you to it." I stared at the doorway for a while, thinking. How could anyone look at that woman and think 'villain'? She wasn't innocent, nobody is, but she didn't- and doesn't- deserve the pain she's been through. I shook my head at the unfairness of the world and picked up the quill I had collected, and started writing my letter.

It was only a few hours later, when I was about to leave the shop, that I got a response. Despite having never known him in person, the Malfoy heir and I were very close. I saw him as someone in need of a friend and he saw me as a confidant, something he had lost during the war and it's aftermath. We were both happy to oblige to the other, though it was really thanks to Narcissa that we were even friends at all.