truce [t.s.] (c)

This is set in IW haha get ready for some angst :))) gonna be honest, not sure how to feel about this
character: tony stark (iron man)
fandom: marvel cinematic universe (avengers/iron man)

Now the night is coming to an end. The sun will rise and we will try again.

Long, deep breaths. In, then out. In, out. He had to keep breathing. In, out. He could feel the pressure building, fighting to get loose. In, out. His anxiety was rising to the surface, about to blow. In, out. He closed his eyes. He just needed to focus. In, out. In, out. In, out.

Deep breath in, deep breath out. Easy. He just had to think about it.

Stay alive, stay alive for me. You will die, but now your life is free.

He was watching you, studying how you kept your face brave and supportive when he knew you were dying from the inside out.

Wanda was your sister in all but blood- losing her was like losing a soulmate; it was irreplaceable. You needed to take some deep breaths. It would help calm you down.

He watched as you struggled around, searching for a place to just give up and rot in. He saw your internal struggle as you fought for control, willing yourself to keep going. He saw you breathe in and out, much too fast to be healthy.

In then out, he willed to you in his mind. In and out.

Take pride in what is sure to die.

He found that following you around had a certain therapeutic quality to it, though he had no idea why.

It was almost like you calmed him down just by being there, as though your very presence gave him a sense of clarity that he had been missing previously.

Maybe you're what he'd been missing his whole life.

I will fear the night again. I hope I'm not my only friend.

He stood still and tense as you hugged him suddenly, sobbing hard. He instantly relaxed and drew you close, whispering the best advice he could give you at the moment.

Breathe in, breathe out. In, out. In, out. In, out.

Breathe in. Breathe out. Breathe for those who couldn't anymore.

Stay alive, stay alive for me.

"I can't do this anymore, Tony." Your voice was scratchy and cracked, but he still understood you perfectly.

"Take deep breaths. Calm down, stop thinking, and breathe. Don't make any rash decisions right now. Look at me," he directed, and you did, eyes red and face splotchy. "You're not alone. I'll be here every step of the way."

You will die, but now your life is free. Take pride in what is sure to die.