Chapter 29- Vaanier's Threads

The day took and unexpected turn for Kami. She silently stood in front of a mirror while a number of maids surrounded her. They tugged and moved at her limbs, a couple of them taking a few measurements and others removing her clothing without much of a hassle. This was an experience that in all her existence she had never gone through. People kneeling and praising her name in large masses, starting universal size wars, even killing themselves in large numbers, was something she had grown used to mortals doing for her. However, being tucked around like a doll, and having all her clothing removed as they took measures and eyed her silently, was something she never expected to go through. The process felt uncomfortable, not because of being nearly stripped-down nude, but because as the all-powerful being she was, this was in a way, a new low.

A puff of smoke covered her vision for a split second, her eyes turned towards the person blowing from the tip of a cigarette. It was a man, bald, except for a line of hair starting from his forehead and ending at the back of his neck. On the front, a small curl that bopped up and down every time he moved his head in any direction. His small gleaming green eyes behind a hunter's stare, and his burly and tall figure looked relaxed and calm. He wore a seemingly leathered maroon getup with a gold outline over the opening the suit provided to his chest.

"My oh my, you have so much to work with." he mumbled. He circled them and eyed her like a piece of artwork being displayed and took another huff of smoke. "How do you manage it?"

"Manage?" Kami responded, the maids tugging at her legs.

"Honey, you're a sight to behold."

"Huh?"

"Where do I start, mmm, perfect flawless skin, smooth and you have such a divine glow!" he closed in grabbing her cheeks between the tip of his fingers. "Perfect bone structure, enticing eyes, a natural blush, sweet tinted lips, eyelashes are just the right size, makes your eyes stand out more, and your eyebrows, not a single strand out of order." he let go and carrassed her hair next. "Soft, it glistens and you're a natural red head, tsk, here I thought you might have dyed it, I'm jealous." He kneeled over with a measuring tape and wrapped it around her waist.

"H-hey!"

"The gods are cruel, I wouldn't be surprised if they took their time crafting you. The figure that so many women struggle to achieve and you walk around with such poor taste in clothes."

"My clothes are perfectly normal where I come from."

"Sweety, THAT'S the problem, their normal, average at best, I will admit you could make commoner rags look good but as a man of fashion I'm here to judge the clothes and my verdict is you've committed a cardinal sin." the man walked back his eyes looking sadden and defeated.

"A bit dramatic." Kami rolled her eyes.

"The drama is but the spice my dear, worry not though I'm here to cleanse away your wrongs, by my hands you will be forgiven." he said happily clapping his hands swiftly in a few quick repetitions.

"Is he always like this?" Kami looked down at the maid who glanced back and giggled.

"Now, as for the matter of your payment for my services, you don't need to worry about that." he continued seemingly ignoring her jab and walking towards a table with a stack of rolled up cloths. He reached out towards a quill and started scribbling down on a piece of paper. "You are the hero who saved the city, and in turn, my shop, the King will be happy to know I will be gifting this dress for your good deeds. No charge to him our you."

"Are you sure, that's not necessary I can work-"

"I insist, as long as you promise to think a little more next time you decided to put something on." he glanced back with a grin. "One more thing."

"What is it?"

The man lifted the white blouse she had been wearing and eyed it. "Despite the design being uninteresting, this material is unlike anything I've seen before. There's some aura of sort, maybe something divine that I sense coming from it, is it imbedded with something?"

Kami shook her head as she responded. "Not at all, is it possible to do something like that?"

"Is it possible?" he scoffed. "I myself can weave magic into clothing. Not many look for something like that but every so often the occasional customer comes in with very specific needs, mostly nobles who wish to buy something with style but with a sense of protection."

Her eyes widen and she almost jumped down from the stage. "So you're like an enchanter?"

"No, no, we're not exactly the same honey."

"How so."

"An enchanter can use a spell or a catalyst to give your clothes certain effects based on what you want of course. With me it's more...specific, the effects comes from the thread and is part of the cloth. You might not be able to enchant it into something else like an enchanter could but my effects are stronger and more efficient."

"Hmmm, so you're like a specialist enchanter~!"

"I'm a weaver honey, please don't be so mindless."

It sounded like an interesting ability, being able to use thread to create clothing with magical effects. In truth, she was more interested in finding better gear but what if she could make her own instead. This could be useful towards that goal.

"Can it be taught?"

"Excuse me?"

"Can you teach it to someone?"

"Hmmm, well it's a delicate process, but I suppose it can be done."

Kami looked with bright eyes towards the man and you could see his expression turn to dread.

"Could you teach me!"

"Absolutely not."

"Please, I'm a fast learner, I won't be too much of a bother for too long, I just want to learn!"

The man sighed and grunted. "You're a hopeless girl, weaving like I do has to come from a love of fashion, something you clearly do not have."

Kami pouted like a child, a mostly naked child who had not gotten her way. Her eye lit up again and she smiled from cheek to cheek. "You can do my wardrobe."

The man's eyebrow was raised, was it curiosity?

"Excuse me?"

"I'll learn about fashion, while you teach me how to weave. Outside of when I adventure of course you can do all my wear, I'll pay."

"So, you'll be like my dress up doll, why do you present this like it's an opportunity and not just a hassle?"

"Aren't I, perfect, aren't I too beautiful to be wearing normal clothes, doesn't the idea of me walking around wearing your best work appeal to you?" she said mockingly striking at his ego.

The man sneered and smiled. "I didn't think you could be pretentious, maybe there is a bit of fire in you after all. Fine, fine, I'll teach you the basics, but you'll be wearing every outfit I design from now until you die, or I do, but considering our line of work I think you'll have the honors first. I should warn you my designs are VERY costly."

Kami nodded and smiled. "Deal!"

"So barbaric." he rolled his eyes and took a puff of smoke from his cigarette. "We can start your lessons at a later date, you do have a party to get to, and this is a last-minute order, I have to put all my attention towards this, for now you can wear your usual clothing, blegh."

The sun was starting to drop from the sky and in just a few hours she would have to make her way back to the castle.