Chapter 32- The Adventurer's Guild

Last night's party was over, and things were finally starting to settle down. People would still stare and try to approach and since the guards were no longer escorting her around the city, she was interreacting with a lot of the city's folk as she walked on the streets.

These were mostly friendly interactions, some just wanted to give their thanks, some just wanted to meet her, others offered her few small gifts that she accepted generously, and then there were others who wanted to join her party or challenge her as if the idea of beating her in combat would bring instant recognition. To those she accepted; even right now she stood across one of those challengers.

It was a large man, taller than her by at least a foot, not particularly impressive features outside his body which was well-built, like most adventurers who handle heavier weaponry and are not so magic focused. The only real stand out on his person was a tattoo across his shoulder. Everything else just screamed background NPC to her.

Even so, she was not going to treat this man any differently for it, so she had accepted his challenge.

The man was already running at full speed, closing the distance between the two. He was slow, or at least, he was to by her measure. He brought down a large mace that had been resting over his shoulder and gripped in one hand. The swing was wide and easily avoidable.

She ducked right before the attack connected, a few gasps coming from the crowd. The swing was definitely meant to deal harm. Kami understood though, they probably thought that if they held back, they would be at a disadvantage, after all they were aware that she was strong enough to deal with a dragon on her own, so a swing like this perceptively might be seen as a way to close the gap in strength.

Alas, it was not enough, the attack left him wide open for too long, she sprung up finger held high and struck his chest with it.

"Hagh!"

The man was blasted back, the mere strike caused a popping sound and built up a light breeze. He glided in the air for a few before landing on the ground with a large thud. His weapon, which he had lost grips with when her own attack hit, landed at her feet breaking the pavement beneath them.

"A-another one-hit."

"Ngh, she's no joke..."

"Was that magic?"

"Had to be, never heard of someone being able to cast skills without muttering them though..."

It was not magic of course; she had just shoved the man with her finger. It was more than enough to stop him, there was no need to do anything more aggressive.

He lifted his head while his body shook from the effort it took to merely do so.

"I-I lost... hehe." was all he could say before dropping unconscious.

The others looked impressed, and a few of his friends emerged from the crowd helping to lift him up.

"T-thank you for accepting his challenge, hopefully he'll think about doing so in the future." one of them spoke and vanished into the mob as quickly as they had come out.

Kami sighed but kept a smile on her face. If only that were true. She had thought demonstrating her strength and how pointless it was to challenge her would cause the number to dwindle, but it actually brought on more of them. She wasn't going to get anywhere at this pace.

She eyed the sky, luckily it was still pretty early in the day but she had plans and could not be stuck here for so long.

There were at least two others who were about to step up to challenge her but she interrupted before they could.