Chapter 51- On the Way

How long had it been since she left the city? It felt like hours, days yet the uneasy feeling of being outside in the wild expose to all sorts of danger never faded or got any better.

Mio huddled her staff closer to her chest as she glanced nervously around the sea of trees surrounding them. There were so many and so little to distinguish their advancement, part of her felt like they had been going in circles all along. Every time she took grew shorter and she would have to remind herself to pick up the slack.

She would have never decided to take this dangerous journey on her own even with her deep desire to follow up on Kami. Speaking of which, she was nowhere in sight. At most, she believed they would be an hour or so apart after all she had taken the liberty of going to the adventurer's guild first to let them know of her expedition.

They had been adamant against letting someone of low rank like her journey to the dungeon on her own but luckily there was one adventurer idling around the guild that had overheard the conversation and volunteered her services.

She glanced towards the girl who walked a number of paces ahead. She was skinny and had yellow amber eyes similar to those of a cat. Her hair was short and brown and she wore something akin to a standard adventurer starter gear but with its own flair. The top had been but extremely to the point where you could see her entire abdomen barely covering her chest and the leather trousers were so short, they resembled something like panties rather than trousers. Aside from the practically naked getup, there were a number of pots and other accessories dangling from around her waist which were strapped on a leather belt including her weapons.

The girl, who had called herself Thief when they had exchanged introductions, looked back when she noticed Mio was staring.

"What's wrong, ku?"

"Not-ahem- the spirits are speaking a-and are curious to know how long until we reach our destination."

"An hour or so off and we'll be there, ku ku!"

"Ah good, we are anxious to see what all the fuzz is about."

"You're weird, ku. C-can you really talk to spirits?"

"-Ahem-I am indeed capable of communicating with the spirits." Mio pulled out a crystal ball from underneath her sleeve and instinctively began hovering her free hand over it while glancing into the orb. "The spirits grow restless and I serve as the mediator between their realm and ours!"

Instead of being in awe or even disbelief about her act, Thief's face grew pale and her pupils dilated as she raised her arm as a barrier between herself and Mio's crystal ball.

"I-isn't t-that like m-m-magic?!"

Mio raised the orb towards her face and let out a prideful yet gentle chuckle. "It's not so simple, my ability is more art than magic, only a true witch which has mastered and honed the delicate process of spirit calling can hope to ever hear the whispering of one. I myself have transcended that level and can freely communicated and hear their every word as though they were next to me, bahahaha!"

Thief visibly moved further a distance from Mio and began shivering. "E-ewww don't get too close I-I'm allergic to magic, ku ku!"

"W-w-wait don't move too far away!" she replied feeling her heart begin to race. "T-t-this place is cree-ahem-the spirits will not be pleased if you abandon me midway!"

Thief let out a shriek seeing Mio reaching out towards her with the orb. "D-don't touch me with that thing, no, stop!"

"D-don't leave me, waaah!!!"

"Eeek, p-p-put that thing away, ku ku!"

The sun began to dim as time slowly advanced forward. The two had eventually come to an understanding that while Thief would not walk too far off so that 'the spirits' would 'grow restless' that Mio would stop all mentioning of them and never pull out her orb in front of her again, or at least while they traveled together. What followed was mostly uneventful.