18 Impossible

Roman POV

"And you're absolutely sure it's okay if we spend the night here?" asked Renée for probably the 10th time since we left the airport.

I looked briefly at Dean, who just rolled his eyes and then turned around to the back.

"Babe, he definitely wouldn't offer if it wasn't okay. And I don't think Stefanie would. Relax." he said to her.

"I just want to make sure we're not a burden to you." she then murmured.

"On the contrary. Steffi is already looking forward to seeing you again. Besides, we have enough space. Why should you stay at the hotel, if there is another way? We want to have you with us," I explained to her as I pulled into our driveway.

I parked the car and immediately felt the happiness and peace I always felt when I returned home after a few days. True, it hadn't been my home for long, but that didn't matter. Just the fact that I could hold my girl in my arms again was like coming home.

We took our luggage out of the car before making our way inside. I opened the door and breathed in the familiar scent. A smile crept across my face before I called out to my beloved.

"Baby girl? We're here!" I called out.

It wasn't 3 seconds before Reese came rushing over. He ran around in circles like crazy, barking joyfully. Then he stood expectantly in front of me and jumped up and down until I bent down to pick him up.

"Hey my boy!" I said, cuddling him.

"Oh my goodness! Look at this cute little guy. I'd take you home in a heartbeat!" gushed Renée immediately, taking Reese from my arms.

"Don't bother, Renée. He would never leave Roman. It's nice to have you guys here." said Stefanie with a laugh as she joined us.

"Hi, babe. How are you? How was your flight?" she asked as she pulled me into her arms to give me a kiss.

"It was fine. How are you? Everything okay?" I replied with my arm tightly around her middle.

"It is now that you're home," she said.

"Steffi, would you please tell Renée that it's really okay that we're staying here?" said Dean.

"Oh of course it is! Why wouldn't it be? We like having you here and since the show is here tomorrow it's convenient. You'll want to freshen up. I'll show you to your room. Maybe we girls can cook dinner together." she replied quickly.

"I'd love to. The men just get in the way anyway," Renée said.

"Hey! Okay, maybe." interjected Dean, but immediately realized she was right.

"I can show you the new gym in the meantime. It turned out great," I said.

----------------------

We spent a nice evening together. Ate, drank and told each other stories. Renée tried again and again to lure the little dog away from me, but she had no success. I loved the way he kept dismissing her because of me. Reese was totally unimpressed by Renée's attempts and just stayed curled up on my lap.

Now we were already on the way to the arena. Stefanie and Reese accompanied us today. And I couldn't be happier about it. I loved having them with me. It made the whole day so much more fun that way.

"Okay, ladies. Have fun. I'll be back in an hour. Love you." I said to the girls and then pulled Steffi to me to say goodbye to her properly and with a kiss.

"Love you too." she replied, giving me that beautiful smile that made her blue eyes sparkle.

Then I headed off to the creative meeting with Dean to see what the plans were for today. I hoped that nothing major had changed. But as usual, I wasn't so lucky. Sometimes I wondered why they even made plans and scripts for a show if they ended up throwing it all out. It was frustrating.

"A backstage brawl. Now that's original." said Dean, his voice dripping with sarcasm as we went in search of our girls.

"Tell me about it..." I sighed.

But as we turned the corner and I saw that Stefanie was already coming towards me, my mood immediately improved. That was something only she could do. Reese was obviously happy, too.

"Hey Ro! Everything okay?" she asked immediately and put her hand to my cheek.

Somehow, despite my better mood, she sensed that something was bothering me. I gave her a smile as I placed my hands on her hips.

"Once you're with me, it's all good. I just have to film a backstage segment with Lesnar and to say I'm not looking forward to it is the understatement of the decade. I really wish they'd come up with something new," I told her.

"Oh... I'm sure you'll be fine. Just be careful you don't hurt yourself, babe. After all, I still need you." she replied with a wink.

She was really cute, but unfortunately it didn't change the fact that I had a bad feeling about the whole thing.

Before I could say anything back, I heard Brock and the camera crew approaching us. Apparently they wanted to surprise me to get as authentic a reaction as possible.

"Hey Reigns! Are you hiding? I've got a little something here you forgot!" Brock taunted and threw a steel chair at me without taking into account that Stefanie was standing next to me.

With a quick movement of the hand, I managed to fight off the chair. However, I had not expected the second. This second chair flew right past me without me having the slightest chance to react. My head turned in the direction it flew and I saw with horror how it hit Stefanie right in the head.

Immediately she dropped to the ground and let go of Reese's leash. Obviously knocked out. I just managed to prevent her head from hitting the concrete. The chair had been bad enough. 

"Baby? Come on. Wake up!" I said to her, shaking her shoulder desperately. I couldn't help but immediately think of the doctor's words from back then. That another head injury could have serious consequences. Fear spread through me like a shot of cold water.

"What the fuck did you do? You son of a bitch! I'm going to kill you. You made this personal!" I growled as what had happened caught up with me. 

I jumped to my feet and charged towards Brock. With a spear I brought him off his feet before my fists smashed down on him again and again. In blind rage, I smashed his face until it was covered in blood.

It took many hands to pull me off him before I actually killed him. I was panting hard when I turned around and saw the doctors putting my, still unconscious, girlfriend on a stretcher.

"She needs to go to the hospital right away! She's had a serious head injury before. We need to hurry. Renée, find Reese and take care of him!" I yelled at everyone around me.

As quickly as they could, the ambulance took Steffi to the nearest hospital. The smell was all too familiar in this place and it brought up memories of the accident. And it also brought up fear. Fear of losing her. I couldn't lose her. That was impossible. Stefanie was the best thing that had happened to me in my life. She was the woman I wanted to marry. The woman I was soon going to surprise with a beautiful diamond ring that was the color of her eyes.