22 Those words

Stefanie POV

At the moment I was torn. On the one hand, I was happy to finally come home again. I hoped that it would jog my memory. But then on the other hand, I was afraid of what my home would look like now. I knew it would be very different from what I remembered. First, because my last memory was about 1 1/2 years ago and a lot could change in that amount of time. And secondly, because I knew by now that I lived with my boyfriend.

I trusted Roman completely. My feeling left no doubt that he had only my best interests in mind. Besides, I simply felt that this man loved me, even if I had no idea how I could have won him over. Accident and life saver or not. I mean, he could probably have any woman in the world. Hell, he could have five on each finger if he wanted to. Why me?

But I had never lived with a man before. Well, except for Reese. But my little fluffy fellow didn't fall into the same category. Overall, it didn't make my situation any easier. I guess I just had to let it unfold. I didn't have a choice anyway. Not that I would have wanted one.

"Please tell me if anything is too much for you. It's the only way I can help you, okay?" said Roman when we arrived home and he unlocked the door for me. 

By now it was late afternoon and I was totally exhausted. After my emotional outburst earlier, all I really wanted to do was sleep. Because sleeping in the hospital was difficult when a nurse came into the room every hour.

"I promise. I just want to go to bed, so if that's okay with you." I replied, a little unsure.

"Of course it's okay. You can do whatever you want. And I know how tired you are." he said.

I took the first steps into the house I had grown up in and fortunately it didn't look as different from what I remembered. That calmed my tense nerves a little.

"Reese?" I called out. I was surprised he didn't come as soon as he heard the door.

A few seconds later I heard his little paws pattering as he ran to us. He looked up at me and his tail wagged like crazy. Obviously my little guy had missed me as much as I missed him. When he started jumping up my leg, I bent down and picked him up. Immediately he started licking my face. Reese was wriggling so much that it was hard to hold him.

"Hi my baby. Did you miss me? Oh I know! I missed you too." I said, holding him close to me.

"It's so good to see you both happy again. Good to have mommy back here, right buddy?" said Roman and Reese responded with a cute little bark as if to agree with him.

After I had looked around briefly in the house, I decided that it was enough for now and it would be best if I went to bed. I did not want that it became too much for me. Because otherwise I risked headaches. I did not want that in any case, because that would mean that I would have to go back to the hospital.

I changed into my pajamas and snuggled into my soft, familiar bed. With a sigh of relief, I buried my head into the pillows. I took a deep breath. The scent was familiar, too. But there was an additional scent of something else. Something that was new and yet already familiar. It smelled faintly of Roman.

"I'll let you sleep. Let me know if you need anything, baby girl. I'll stay in the guest room for now. Sleep well." said Roman and was already leaving the room.

"What, wait a minute! I know you're not supposed to force anything on me, but.... well, I don't want to kick you out of your bed. You can sleep here. Well if you want to." I replied, surprised at myself.

"Are you sure it's a good idea?" he wanted to know. I nodded.

"Um... would... would it be possible, maybe, that you.... that you hold me.... until I fall asleep?" I asked, stuttering.

"I'd love to." he replied, immediately joining me in bed and pulling me hesitantly yet purposefully into his arms.

I laid my head on his chest. The now familiar scent rose to my nose. With a smile, I inhaled as much of it as I could. It did not take long until I fell asleep.

--------------------

When I woke up again, it was already dark outside. Only the moonlight illuminated the room a little. I lifted my head and noticed with dismay that I was alone. Immediately my eyes wandered through the room. There he was. Roman was standing at the window, looking outside. He held his phone in his hand and I heard soft sounds. Apparently, he was listening to music.

"Roman? Is everything okay?" I asked as I got up and walked over to him.

He turned to me, a smile on his perfect face that seemed a little forced and that didn't quite reach his eyes. I knew I was hurting him. And it hurt my soul to see him like this.

"Hey...why aren't you sleeping?" he asked after clearing his throat.

"What are you listening to?" I asked instead of answering him.

"Oh... Just this one song." he said softly. 

He turned the volume up a little bit. It didn't take me long to realize that it was an Ed Sheeran song. A song that Roman had often played for me in the hospital. Tenerife Sea, if I remembered correctly.

"I love this song." I said as I stood next to him and also looked out the window. The moon was so big tonight. 

"I love it, too. It always reminds me of you. Not only because it's actually our song, Steffi. But because I feel like the song is about you." he replied softly as he turned me to him with a hand on my hip.

"Why didn't you tell me before?" I wanted to know.

"Because I couldn't. Dance with me?" he asked, putting the phone down on the nightstand after turning it up even louder.

Together we moved to the gentle tunes of this beautiful song. Our gazes were melted together. Roman's warm eyes looked at me longingly. It was a wonderful moment. At some point I could no longer resist and stood on my tiptoes. Slowly, very slowly, I stretched towards him until I could finally press my lips onto his.

Roman pulled me closer to him as his long, strong arms wrapped themselves around me. We were one. Nothing around us mattered. It was just us. After a while, he pulled away and rested his forehead against mine.

"I love you." he said softly.

When I heard those words, it was like someone flipped a switch inside me. A bright light in my head illuminated the darkness. Suddenly, everything was there again. Every detail. Every memory.

"Oh my God!" I whispered, overwhelmed.

"Stefanie?" asked Roman, sounding more than concerned.

"Roman! I remember! I can remember!" I gasped, looking at him with wide eyes.

Immediately I was back in his arms. Roman lifted me off the ground and spun me around in circles. I couldn't help but giggle. In love and in relief.

He put me back on my feet and gave me another long, passionate kiss. Then he covered my face with many little kisses. I felt his relief radiating from every pore.

"And I love you too! You have no idea how much!" I then said.

It was important that I said it. It was important that he knew how much I loved him and how grateful I was to have him in my life. A man who didn't give up on me, even when life got difficult.