37 Home and family

Stefanie POV

As I sat on the bed in the hospital looking at the little baby in my arms, I could hardly believe that I had had her in my belly for so long. It still seemed a little surreal to be able to hold her in my arms now. My daughter. My little girl. We had started a family, Roman and me.

I smiled when I thought about how in love we were with Ruby. This unconditional love we both felt not only for each other but now also for this little being was truly overwhelming.

As Ruby clutched my index finger tightly with her tiny hand, I soaked up every detail about her. Like how incredibly familiar her eyes were to me, or how long her hair already was. Dark and full like her daddy's.

"I can't wait to get you home, my little gem. Once Daddy gets your baby carrier out of the car, we'll be on our way. Then you'll get to meet Reese. I am sure he will be your first best friend. He'll always protect you, I'm sure. But you better not pull his ears, because he doesn't like that.

And then your auntie Leo! She gushed over the photos I sent her. Wait until she can hold you in her arms. She will definitely be blown away by your cuteness. I promise you that Daddy and I and our whole crazy family will always take good care of you, Ruby. We love you so much and you deserve nothing but the best.

That's why I want you to have one or two siblings. Of course, only in a few years, but we will definitely do our best. I don't want you to be an only child like Mommy. I would have loved to have had a sister or a brother. I always thought it was a shame that I didn't have that. Maybe it would have helped me when your grandma and grandpa passed away. Who knows. But I don't want you to know that feeling." I babbled to my daughter, who all the time was looking at me with her big blue orbs as if she understood every word, although that was not the case.

Then someone cleared his throat. I lifted my eyes and saw that my husband was already back. Crazy, I hadn't heard him come in. Roman smiled at us lovingly.

"You're back! I didn't hear you at all." I said, feeling myself blush a little.

"No you didn't. You were too absorbed in Ruby's eyes. I can understand that very well. And I can tell you that I find it so... so beautiful to watch you together. I'll never get tired of it for sure. Ready to take our gem home?" Roman replied as he took a few steps towards us.

"More than ready," I said as I stood up.

Roman put the baby carrier on the bed and watched very closely as I put Ruby in it and strapped her in.

"Do you want to carry her?" I asked after I was done. 

I turned to him so I could put my arms around his middle. It was easier than with Ruby in my belly, but still not quite like before. These things took time and I was in no hurry. Right now, all that mattered was that the baby was doing well.

"There is nothing I would rather do. But before that, I have a present for you. I forgot it in the car yesterday during the excitement," he said, pulling something out of his back pocket.

"What is this?" I wanted to know as he put the small box in my hand.

"Why don't you open it and find out?" said Roman gently.

I did as he said and slowly opened the box. I gasped as a beautiful bracelet with lots of tiny rubies came to light. I gently brushed my fingertips over it.

"Roman... it's so beautiful," I whispered, moved.

"Not as beautiful as you and our daughter, but I wanted to give you something to show you how proud and incredibly grateful I am that you brought our Ruby into the world." he explained to me as he took the bracelet out of the box and placed it around my wrist.

"I love you, you know..." I breathed.

"Oh I think I know that and you know what? I love you too." he replied as he took my face between his palms and gave me a loving kiss.

"And by the way, I'll get back to you on the sibling topic." he said afterwards with a sly wink.

----------------

Little Miss Ruby completely slept through her first car ride, and my eyes kept falling shut, too. To be honest, this was not to be expected differently. I only woke up again when I heard Roman's voice.

"Baby girl? We're home." he said to me quietly.

I quickly looked around and realized that we were indeed already standing in front of our house. That was somehow faster than expected.

Roman got out and held the door open for me. I reached for the hand he was offering me. It felt good to come home, even though it hadn't been that long. I watched as my husband carefully lifted Ruby out of the car in her carrier. Then he grabbed the hospital bag and was by my side again.

I opened the door and took a deep breath. Immediately I relaxed. And then I heard it. The tap of Reese's paws as he came to greet us. Leo wasn't far behind either. She followed the little dog and then hugged me tightly as she congratulated us again. Then we went into the living room so they could have a good look at Ruby.

Roman took Ruby in his arms, gave her a kiss, and then handed her off to Leo. Reese hopped up on the couch next to them and sniffed Ruby's little feet. His tail was wagging like crazy. I think he liked her.

"You two did a good job. She's adorable. Maybe I should take you home with me." She cooed without once taking her eyes off the baby.

"You won't get far. I'll give you a tip, Leo. Make your own little miracle." said Roman, making us all laugh.

After half an hour, Leo then made her way home, but without Ruby, of course. And so the Reigns family spent a relaxed, quiet evening. Roman made dinner and read my every wish from my eyes. I enjoyed this time so much. There was really nothing better in the world. Besides, I was glad that my little Reese showed no sign of jealousy. On the contrary, he did not let Ruby out of his sight. Apparently he wanted to be, just like us, always at her side.