26 Finding the one

Stefanie POV

I plopped down on the sofa in the bridal store, a little frustrated. Right between Leo and Pat. Why was that so damn hard? Why was it so hard for me to decide? I was waiting for that special feeling, but every time I put on a dress and then looked in the mirror, it didn't come.

We had been here for hours. In that time, I must have tried on 20 different dresses. Maybe there were just too many options. Without sleeves or with. Lace, no lace. Tulle, satin, silk, velvet, organza. Open or closed back. Mermaid or ball gown. Simple or pompous. Sparkle and pearls or rather not.

Everything was going over my head. Even though my friends, Roman's mom and his sisters tried to help me make the best decision, it just didn't click. Besides, every time I put on a new dress and looked in the mirror, I expected to see my mother standing behind me. She would have known for sure how to help me make the right choice.

"This is so hard. How am I ever going to choose?" I asked as I pressed my back into the cushions of the sofa.

"Do you have a favorite?" asked Summer me.

"No, not really," I mumbled with a shrug.

"Okay, I have an idea. Get up!" said Leo suddenly.

She stood in front of me and took my hands in hers and looked at me closely.

"All right. I want you to close your eyes now and imagine the following. Imagine Roman in your mind's eye seeing you for the first time on your wedding day. Imagine him almost bursting with love and pride. And now look down at yourself and memorize what you are wearing at this moment" she said and of course I did what she said.

I took a deep breath. I had barely closed my eyes when I saw Roman clearly in front of me. And he looked so incredibly handsome. In a dark blue suit that fit him like a glove. Mmmmh... okay, focus.

In my mind, I looked down at myself and saw what I was wearing. And it was indeed perfect. A wide flared skirt with lots of tulle and a top covered in pearls with a sweetheart neckline.

Smiling, I opened my eyes. Leo saw the expression on my face. She knew immediately that it had worked.

"Now go with Beth and find your dream dress. I'm sure it must be around here somewhere. Take your time." she said.

Then I set off with my consultant Beth through the entire store in search of the one perfect dress.

Together we looked at all, really all dresses. Until I saw one that came damn close to my imagination. Carefully I took it from the clothes rail to be able to look at it closer. There it was. The one. I could feel how it started to tingle inside me.

Beth took the dress and brought it to the dressing area for me. She helped me put it on. Then she pulled the curtain aside so I could join my escorts. I heard them gasp for air. Probably I was not the only one who had a good feeling.

I turned to the mirror and I was flabbergasted. Tears came to my eyes. We had indeed found it. I had no doubt about that. And what made this moment so much sweeter was that I could feel my mother's presence. It was like she was standing right behind me. That was the sign I had been waiting for all along.

"Did you find your dress?" asked Beth.

"Yes, without a doubt," I said.

Immediately Pat was with me and hugged me carefully. I could hear her sniffling softly. It was so sweet how happy she was.

"You look like a princess, Stefanie! So beautiful!" she whispered and then stroked my cheek before wiping away a tear.

"Thanks Mom." I replied with a lump in my throat.

"I'm so glad it worked out! I knew you'd find it!" said Leo, beaming.

"You're great, Leo. What would I do without you?" I asked as I hugged her tightly.

"You'll never find out. I love you, Steffi. My sister from another mister." she replied laughing.

"That reminds me. I have a surprise for you. For always being with me last year and taking care of Reese while I was in the hospital after the accident, we're both going to a luxury spa for a long weekend. Expenses are on me. You are the best friend anyone could ask for and I owe you so much. And since I have recently come in to money, we're splurging. Roman is on the road that weekend and Reese is spending time at Pat's," I explained to her.

"Really? That's... oh my God!" she gasped, wide-eyed.

She deserved it and I deserved it too, after everything that had happened in the last year. Even though I would miss my Roman, but then again, I had him for the rest of our lives.