23 Our happiness

Stefanie POV

I was awakened by a gentle nudge against my cheek. Slowly I opened one eye and saw that my little Reese was standing next to me on my pillow. With his big eyes, he looked at me expectantly.

"Morning, baby." I mumbled and pulled him to me to cuddle, but it was no use because he was wriggling like crazy.

I let go of him and sat up. Confused, I realized that Roman was no longer lying next to me. With a frown I saw Reese jump off the bed and run to the door. He barked briefly as if he wanted to ask me to follow him.

Only now I noticed the smell that hung in the air. It smelled like flowers, but somehow also like candles. I climbed out of bed and put on my robe. Then I followed Reese. When I entered the hallway, I thought I was still dreaming. It was dark. Only the light from dozens of pillar candles standing to the right and left illuminated the otherwise dark hallway. The floor was covered all over with red rose petals. Slowly, very slowly, I followed the candles and the petals into the living room.

The blackout curtains were closed, yet the room was brightly lit with the glow of hundreds of pillar candles. On every free surface they stood. And there in a circle of vases filled with long-stemmed roses stood my Roman.

"Good morning my beautiful darling." he said softly yet clearly.

When he saw my astonished face, the most beautiful smile spread on his face.

"What are you doing?" I asked, totally caught off guard.

"Well, I think it's time to change the term I never liked anyway. And I thought now is perfect for it. I have you back. That's the best gift anyone could ask for. But my happiness, our happiness, isn't quite complete yet." he began.

"Oh my goodness..." I whispered as he reached out to me and pulled me close.

Roman gently stroked my cheek while looking deep into my eyes. Truly, I could have stayed like this forever. In that moment, looking into each other's eyes.

But then Roman went down on one knee, holding my trembling hands very tightly. I think if he hadn't held me, I probably would have fallen over. My heart was racing.

"Stefanie, when I pulled you out of the car almost a year ago, I knew immediately that my world had changed. You have become a strong, lasting part of my universe. I only needed one look into your eyes to fall in love with you. And this love I feel for you is growing with each passing day. The thought of losing you is more than I can bear. I want a lifetime with you. I want everything that comes with it.

Stefanie Maria King, will you do me the honor and become my wife? Will you-" spoke Roman.

"Yes! Yes! I will!" I interrupted him, grabbing his gorgeous face and pressing my lips to his.

"Will you marry me?" he asked again probably because he wanted to do it the proper way.

"Yes, Roman I will marry you." I replied overwhelmed with emotion as tears ran down my cheeks.

"Thank you!" he beamed and kissed me as if his life depended on it.

We stayed like that for a while. This moment was so precious and unexpected. And it was by far the best moment in my life. Well, so far anyway. However, I was sure that many more breathtaking moments would follow with this man, the love of my life, my life saver.

"This is for you." Roman said at some point as he pulled something out of his jacket pocket. 

It was a ring box. When it opened, my breath hitched. This was definitely the most precious, beautiful and perfect ring I had ever seen in my life. And even in the dim, warm light of the candles, I could see how special it really was.

"Roman! That is so beautiful. That's the exact..." I spoke until my voice trailed off.

"That's right, baby girl. I chose this ring because the diamond is the color of your bright, beautiful blue eyes. The eyes that had me from the first moment I saw them." he explained as he put it on my finger. On the place it would never leave again.